Default No queen this late in the season- requeen?

Hi all;
    Noticed no brood awhile ago (See http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ight=jengalill)

Put a frame of eggs from my other hive in and they made queen cells. Not sure what happened to this awesome queen So question: I'm in CT... this late in the season, should I just wait for these queen cells to hatch and hope for the best, or should I eliminate the queen cells and re-queen?

And for those who are in the camp of "trust the bees- they know what to do." I wish I completely agreed, but if it weren't for me intervening, that whole hive would be queenless/doomed.

Default Re: No queen this late in the season- requeen?

If you dont have a laying queen one week from today, you had better order one. Winter is coming and the bees are dumping drones. When you finally do have a queen laying in that hive, feed a pollen substitute to boost your population of YOUNG workers. All of the bees in that hive are "getting a little long in the tooth" and won't winter.

And how about room for eggs? Should I stop feeding them this week so that they hopefully make room for egg-laying?

Take a look in the lower box, They need 3-5 empty frames for brood and cluster. They will consume a lot of stores raising brood so you should be fine. A more likely scenario would be low stores but you need young bees in order to winter. The new queen should lay till Columbus Day.

Wish I could say "trust the bees" but bees I have trusted in the past have swarmed late September and today, the first hive I opened in the first yard I checked was chock-full of beautiful supercedure cells.

There still seems to be a lot of drones in the hives here in Maine, more than I remember seeing in the past at this time. So, I'm going to let that hive be and see what happens, but I can afford to do that since I have a dozen nucs in that yard and can combine if need be (which I expect will be the case.)

If you can get a mated queen at this late date, I would do that if the hive is worth saving. Otherwise, with climate change extending our fall, perhaps your cells can hatch, mate and begin laying in time.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by adam@azapiaries View Post
    Take a look in the lower box, They need 3-5 empty frames for brood and cluster. They will consume a lot of stores raising brood so you should be fine. A more likely scenario would be low stores but you need young bees in order to winter. The new queen should lay till Columbus Day.
    They definitely don't have 3-5 open frames. These are VERY industrious bees, and it kills me that something happened to their queen (what were they thinking?!). So should I stop feeding them so they have room to lay, hopefully? Should I take out a frame or two of capped honey and put in an empty frame for now?

Quote Originally Posted by jengalill View Post
    They definitely don't have 3-5 open frames. These are VERY industrious bees, and it kills me that something happened to their queen (what were they thinking?!). So should I stop feeding them so they have room to lay, hopefully? Should I take out a frame or two of capped honey and put in an empty frame for now?
    Yes if they are plugged out, then you will need to stop feeding and give them five or six empty combs in the LOWER box. This will allow room for incoming nectar, brood rearing and winter cluster.

Hi: I have a similar situation. Double deep and a partial super full of stores. but no eggs larvae or brood; no evidence of a queen although there have been empty queen cells for two weeks now. The hive swarmed in August.
    I'm thinking to do a newspaper combine on two other hives - 1 deep each, and save the partial super for later as needed. I'm in Killington, VT, zone 4, and its getting cold at night so re-queening doesn't seem likely to succeed. However, any thoughts are appreciated. Paul
    Zone 4a-b

Quote Originally Posted by pbuhler View Post
    I'm thinking to do a newspaper combine on two other hives - 1 deep each, and save the partial super for later as needed.
    What are the benefits of doing a newspaper combine?

I have the same problem with one hive - the original queen went MIA, requeened but that queen either absconded or was killed, moved a queen and frames from a split into the hive last week. Going in this weekend to see if she was accepted and is laying. If not, I guess I'll have to combine. I'd hate to lose this hive - it's overflowing with bees, but no brood.

Quote Originally Posted by jengalill View Post
    What are the benefits of doing a newspaper combine?
    Since I believe the hive is queenless, the newspaper will let the bees aclimate more gradually without significant fighting (working as if there was a laying worker in the box I want to combine). No harm done if the newspaper is not needed, but less of a problem than if I don't use it and need it. Paul
    Zone 4a-b