Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anythin else I can do to control SHB

I have been swarmed by SHB. I have two hives stated this May and a new on stated this last week from a swarm I cought. Lost a swarm I cought last month from SHB they slimed several frames and the bees left. I can watch the SHB flying around the hive every night right before dark and even kill a few when I can catch them.

I have been using a SBB with an Oil trap using vegi oil in the two hive started this spring. I clean out the oil trays 5 days ago and checked it today and there is over a 100 dead SHB in both of them. I also use Beetel Blaster traps in each box and using vegi oil in them, they have 10 to 20 dead SHB in each of them. There is also some running around with bees chasing them.

Help is there anything else I can do, Two existing hives are strong, but not sure if the Swam I caught stand a chance against the number of beetles I have been seeing.

Default Re: Anythin else I can do to control SHB

djs, so sorry to hear about the shb problem. we have them here too, and they cost me two hives last year.

hear is what i am doing now, and so far this year i haven't had any problems:

1. i use solid bottom boards.
    2. my inner covers are notched front and back, but i have them screened.

these two things limit the entry of beetles and moths to the bottom entrance only, which is guarded well.

3. i keep my hives in mostly sun, with a little afternoon shade.

i tried locating some hives in shaded areas, and i helped a friend tend to his hives which are in mostly shade, and there were way more beetles in these hives. i moved mine back to a mostly sunny spot and now there are very few beetles.

4. i keep one disposable 'better beetle blaster' trap in every deep and medium box , (i get them from mann lake). i use regular vegatable oil in them, and i mix a little over-ripe banana and apple cider vinegar in with the oil. if i get a few beetles in a trap and the oil gets dingy, i'll replace it.

5. i try not to have much more space in the hive than there are bees to fill the space.

6. i only inspect the hives when needed, and i kill any loose beetles i find with tweezers.

even though i know there are beetles around, it's not too unusual to not see any running loose during an inspection, and i have some traps that are still beetle free since spring. so far so good this year.

i hate those little buggers.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

How much space are you making your bees defend? With an infestation that bad, I would be stripping them down until the bees covered every frame in every box. Do me a favor and kill as many as you can so they don't head this way!!! They don't seem to be as bad this year, I am guessing it's the drought. That or I've just got awesome bees that hate SHBs as much as I do.

Rod

Rod I went out and killed a bunch last night during half time the sun was setting and they were coming out. Squashed everyone I could catch 25 or more. I seen them during the drought but since the rain has came the last week they seem to be more of them. I may try to move my new hive to a spot that gets more sun but space is limited in my backyard.

My theory is that bugs like the Hive Beetles and Japaneese beetles that pupate in the ground are activated or triggered by moisture. Probably has to do with no moisture no plants, no plants, no food for evil beetles. I noticed this summer that on nice days after a rain (not that we had many DROUGHT) the japaneese beetles would be out in the millions (I wonder if the chickens got tired of eatting beetles?) and then when it was dry they would disappear until the next rain.

So all we have to do is figure out a way for bees to make honey with no rain and the beetle problem is solved. LOL

I have put the plastic between-frame beetle jails in my hives. I am going to check them in a little while. My hives are in full sun, and I have only seen one or two beetles so far. There might be more that I'm not seeing, so that's why I put in the beetle jails.

I have some freeman beetle traps (the screened bottom board type) ready to install, but unless the beetle population increases, I may wait until next year to add those.

It is supposed to be sunny here all week, so I am going to reapply diatomaceous earth (DE) around my hives. That is supposed to slice the larvae (and ants and other critters) up as they crawl through it. I assume it works, as I don't have an increasing population of beetles yet.

The more I look, the more options for beetles I find. I'll probably try them all at least once eventually. That's just part of the learning experience, the way I see it.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Slow Modem; 09-09-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: correction: changed traps to hives
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Greg where can I get diatomaceous earth.

I will keep up the battle and kill every SHB I can

DJS, I lost a weak hive from a swarm to wax moth earlier this summer. This is my first year and when I looked in and saw the mess...well, I certainly don't want to see the results of a beetle sliming. With that in mind I'm looking at several options and angles to combat them. Here's a thread where I modded my screened bottom boards to (cheaply) accept oil trays. I include some other things I did to help combat the beetles other than the oil trays. There might be something you can use in there.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...imple+oil+tray

Best wishes,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Greg where can I get diatomaceous earth.
    I got mine at tractor supply store.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/red-lak...20-lb--1019864
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I think all of the ground pupating insects are really pushed back by drought. Since my ground is basically concrete right now, even the cicadas that normally hatch in may were slim, and I saw a dying one last week - which means it hatched in August (they live 3 weeks.)

I keep pondliner under my hives, and de under the pondliner, water the apiary very scarcely - just wildflowers and an elm back there. I did see a sudden burst of shb the last time we had rain, but not more than 9 in a hive, and I got at least half of those with my hive tool. I added beetle blasters right afterward, got about 3 per blaster, grapeseed or olive oil in the blasters. My hives are in sun over half of the day.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Ed thanks for the Ideal, that would be esier then building my own metal trays. They ones I built seem to work they have killed lots of SHB but they keep coming.

Greg thanks for letting me know where to get the DE

Gypsi I will try adding a liner under my hives when I move them. We have also had a drought this year but my hives are near my garden and I keept it water. I wonder how fare the SHB will go to get in the ground to do their thing.

I keep my garden watered, but the closest patch of garden is 35 feet and a privacy fence away from the bees. The apiary is hot, sunny and dry, I toss a hose out there a couple of times a week to give the wildflowers a sip.
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

DJS, what is in your garden? Beetles are well known to have heavy populations in watermelon fields...especially where the melons have been harvested and there's rotting ones still there. Other kinds of fruits are attractive, also. Compost piles...

I seem to recall reading that the larvae will burrow down to 18 inches. It depends on the structure of the soil. A hard-packed soil will be hard for them to burrow down into. A nice friable garden soil would be a vacation resort for them. The larvae have been known to crawl 100+ feet and to crawl across hot asphalt. Tough critters!

Gypsi, I agree with you about the ground pupating insects depending on moisture levels. We've just experienced a rather heavy invasion of "love bugs". They pupate in the ground and we've had a moist season for our area.

Ed

DJS
    I found this Youtube video on an entrance trap that has me thinking a lot about this approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egLr...hannel&list=UL

Worth watching the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    We've just experienced a rather heavy invasion of "love bugs". They pupate in the ground and we've had a moist season for our area.
    Tell me about it. There's nothin i "love" about em. They just got all over my fresh paint job.

It was suggest that I use Checkmite+ to control the SHB infestation. Has anyone use this to control mites?

I use it in beetle barns. It has mixed results but in most cases it worked well. Some traps had maybe 75-100 beetles. A few had none.

I have compost piles all over, but they aren't kept wet, especially in the summer. They just bake in the sun til the rain comes. And most of the compost material is pond stuff, leaves, aquatic plants, some dead fish, gravel, organic goo. Had more shb after a rain about a month ago than I've ever seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsi View Post
    I have compost piles all over, but they aren't kept wet, especially in the summer. They just bake in the sun til the rain comes. And most of the compost material is pond stuff, leaves, aquatic plants, some dead fish, gravel, organic goo. Had more shb after a rain about a month ago than I've ever seen before.
    Do you think compost piles make their numbers higher? I have one not to far away from hives but never seen any SHB in there.

I have tried the nematodes, link below, which have been in the ground for 3-4 weeks and may be seeing a reduction. I also put the weed cloth for gardening under my hives that I periodically sprinkle with DE. However I also have sprinklers and "astroturf" in front of my hives like virginiawolf, so my ground is always damp. My hives are in the shade and we have gumbo clay dirt here. I just ordered one of the beetlejail entrance traps referenced in the video above plus one of there frame traps that also has the bottom section for drone foundation (clever idea). I am going to install both of their products in the same hive, my strongest (double brood deeps) hive to see how well they work. They should be here, plus the foundation, in a week or so, report will be some time after that.

http://www.bugsforgrowers.com/produc...abditis-indica

http://beetlejail.com/store/index.ph...&product_id=67
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast