Question Thinking about bee school

What info about diseases and pests ought to be taught to new beekeepers?

One school of thought is to give them info about most all afflictions.

I'm not so sure. Perhaps it would be better to teach them what healthy bees & brood look like, common afflictions (chalk brood, Varroa), the really bad stuff (AFB) and then state that there are lots of other things that can hurt a hive, and what the resources are if they think they've got a problem.

Wax Moths and Small Hive Beetles are not much, if any, of an issue here.

What good does it do to get new beekeepers talking about IAPV?

Thoughts? I'm looking to put together a school that will have students be eager/confident to be in their hives - not afraid of what might be lurking there.

New beekeepers - your thoughts are welcome here.

Default Re: Thinking about bee school

Just pick the stuff that they need to get through the first season. Dont overwhelm them with all other stuff. Exactly what they need to get through the first season package to winter prep mite treatment. Just tell them what to do step by step with a little bit of explanation. You want them to do it your way and let them experiment later but, step by step your way. Advanced class for supering etc.

Default Re: Thinking about bee school

I would agree, don't overwhelm them. If they want to learn more about various diseases and pests, they have plenty of time in the future to read a few books and so some research on their own. Their heads will already be swimming from the barrage of information on beekeeping basics explored in the class.

On the disease and pest front I would focus mostly on mites ... their life cycle, the damage they can do to the bees, and the methods you find most effective in controlling them. If a new beekeeper can effectively control mites their first couple of seasons they should be successful without being concerned about all of the other monsters hiding in the bushes.

Some of the other bee health issues will take care of themselves if things such as hive location, ventilation, and diet are covered in detail. Stick with the most common ailments and what the beekeeper can do to help prevent them.
    To everything there is a season....