Default Larvae found outside hive??

I noticed an almost fully-developed pure white larva laying outside the hive. Then I noticed another bee, almost watching the larvae a few blades of grass over. Does this indicate mite intrusion? I think I may be seeing mites around the hive, but with ants and other bugs around and with the small size of the insect I'm seeing I can't be sure what it is or what type of mite I'm even looking for (let alone what it might look like)... Please help me out, I don't know what to think of the situation!

Default Re: Larvae found outside hive??

if it is a bee larva, your hive may beginning to evict drones and drone larva for the upcoming winter. varroa mites are very small red dots, about the size of a period. you can see them sometimes if you uncap and remove a drone larva/pupa with a tweezers. the mite will be on the larva/pupa.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

will you please explain the drone eviction thing?

i think most colonies decide they don't need drones around for winter, and actually start booting them out about this time of year. it's kind of funny to watch, unless you're a drone.

it may also be that if your bees have hygenic traits, they may remove drone larva if they detect mites.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

In addition to the possibilities already mentioned.....Occasionally, burr comb or ladder comb between the top of the frames in a hive body and the bottom of the frame above is used by the queen as part of the brood chamber. When you inspect the hive, larva can be exposed or otherwise killed as you break the comb loose to remove a frame for inspection.

Brood that is dead from a chill, or even some brood diseases can also be taken out front of the hive: More possibilities for seeing dead larva.

LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)