Thread: The Moth

Default The Moth

Has anyone any idea how to prevent moth attack? i keep me supers in the room and i found moth destroying frames and i dot know how to get rid off it.

Default Re: The Moth

Moth Balls work well. Let the supers ventilate 24 hours before returning them to a hive in the spring.

STOP!
    NEVER USE MOTH BALLs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The chem gets in the wax and will kill the bees when you put it back on the hive.

1. You can use "Paramoth" Check the bee suppliers. They sell it.

2. Yous can use "Certain" The name has changed. you get it from suppliers in Canada.
    Do a search on the forums for Certian and you fill find the current name. BT is used for short but I don't remember the name.
    It is a liquid to mix with water and spray on the wax frames. Does not harm the bees. Great for long term storage of clean wax. Works great! just keep them dry after spraying and the stuff drys on them. Also great for spraying the frames of comb you put in hive traps. Can sit for week in a trap before the bees move in and still not problem.
    Store it in the fridge. It is a live bacteria. Like Yogurt but is is very dark in concentrate. Goes clear after you use it.

3. Put all cleaned frames in the freezer for 72 hours. Then when you take them out spray them with 'BT' whatever name you get it under.

But Never use moth balls!
    Old Guy in Alabama

I use moth balls. They are ParaMoth PDB (paradichlorobenze) moth balls.

http://www.amazon.com/Willert-Home-P.../dp/B000RLT3L4
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Quote Originally Posted by Keth Comollo View Post
    I use moth balls. They are ParaMoth PDB (paradichlorobenze) moth balls.

http://www.amazon.com/Willert-Home-P.../dp/B000RLT3L4
    That may be PDB Paramoth, but the description is wrong - Paramoth does NOT kill the eggs of the wax moth - freezing will do that. Ive used Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) with good success

I thought all moth balls were Paradichlorobenzene . My bad if there are other types.

Buy some BT (bacillus Thurengens (sp)? and mix it up and spray both sides of your stored combs or spray it on a comb under attack. It will end your moth problem and is harmless to the bees. I am a believer after buying 100 deeps full of used comb that turned out to be heavily infested with waxmoths. It was a lot of work to spray them, but it stopped the waxworms instantly. Of course, I would have been better off letting the waxworms have them and selling fishing bait. 30 splits started on the combs all developed AFB!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Buy some BT (bacillus Thurengens (sp)? and mix it up and spray both sides of your stored combs or spray it on a comb under attack. It will end your moth problem and is harmless to the bees. I am a believer after buying 100 deeps full of used comb that turned out to be heavily infested with waxmoths. It was a lot of work to spray them, but it stopped the waxworms instantly. Of course, I would have been better off letting the waxworms have them and selling fishing bait. 30 splits started on the combs all developed AFB!
    Sir Vance G

Can you recommend me it there are a lot of versions of it on Amazon.