Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Can raw honey be clear?.....

33K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  Gray Goose 
#1 ·
I am talking about unheated raw honey.

thanks!

#3 ·
Yes. And Freshly extracted, settled, and bottled honey should be. Over time honey will crystallize, and this can vary from days to years depending on the variety. With gentle heating to 35 - 40 degrees celsius ( the internal temperature of a bee hive) this process can be undone, without damaging any of the health benefits.

#13 ·
... With gentle heating to 35 - 40 degrees celsius ( the internal temperature of a bee hive) this process can be undone, without damaging any of the health benefits.
Not true. 30oC is a temperature of the nest. Nest does not have a honey. It is just waste of energy to keep comb with honey at 30oC especially in winter. I have comb honey, which is stored for almost a year - it did not crystallize. Crystallization somehow related to honey extraction. Once honey leave its "natural" place (honeycomb) it could crystallize, which, I believe did not affect its properties. ANY artificial heating shall remove FDA's "grade A" from the label. But, I guess, one could bring honey in Mohave desert and heat it up "naturally"... Sergey

#21 ·
Early in this thread I asked the op if he/she meant clear in color or lacking in particulates. I never got a reply.....so, to my thinking we don't really have any idea what we're talking about.

#23 ·
Since we don't know what we are talking about I will chime in :D One and only one time in all my time with bees did I get a shallow super of black locust honey which extracted made one gallon. I put it in a one gallon jar and it was so light you could easily read a newspaper thru it. Extracted sugar syrup looks the same but to me the taste difference is obvious.

#24 ·
In November we had a statewide Natural Honey Challenge. Here are a couple of photos I snapped during the sorting of the honey. We had a couple of "water white" entries according to Jack's Scale, and you can see that they are very clear.

The rule was no heating or forced filtration, honey could be strained only.

There is also a photo of the darkest and lightest of the honeys.
One of the very clear honeys was identified by the beekeeper as "palm"; the others were not identified as to type and so classified as mixed floral for the competition.

The very dark honey pictured was identified by the beekeeper as macadamia nut.

Mason jar Product Canning Preserved food Glass

Canning Fruit preserve Preserved food Honey Food

#26 ·
Our sourwood was extra-light to light amber color and extremely aromatic. We used to make a lot before they cut it all down in our area and planted pine trees. Pure sourwood is very very slow to granualte and some never does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.