Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can raw honey be clear?.....

Early in this thread I asked the op if he/she meant clear in color or lacking in particulates. I never got a reply.....so, to my thinking we don't really have any idea what we're talking about.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Yes, honey can be clear.
    It can have color and be transparent, and it also can be colorless ( or very nearly so) and be transparent...similar to light Karo syrup.

Since we don't know what we are talking about I will chime in One and only one time in all my time with bees did I get a shallow super of black locust honey which extracted made one gallon. I put it in a one gallon jar and it was so light you could easily read a newspaper thru it. Extracted sugar syrup looks the same but to me the taste difference is obvious.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

In November we had a statewide Natural Honey Challenge. Here are a couple of photos I snapped during the sorting of the honey. We had a couple of "water white" entries according to Jack's Scale, and you can see that they are very clear.

The rule was no heating or forced filtration, honey could be strained only.

There is also a photo of the darkest and lightest of the honeys.
    One of the very clear honeys was identified by the beekeeper as "palm"; the others were not identified as to type and so classified as mixed floral for the competition.

The very dark honey pictured was identified by the beekeeper as macadamia nut.

HCnet2.jpg

HC honeynet.jpg

Pure 'Sourwood Honey' is nearly as clear as water, and has a light smell of lilacs. It also has a very distinct wonderful taste, that you will never forget!

Our sourwood was extra-light to light amber color and extremely aromatic. We used to make a lot before they cut it all down in our area and planted pine trees. Pure sourwood is very very slow to granualte and some never does.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

For me it seems that some batch's are clear, meaning very little suspended matter, and sometimes it is cloudy. I use the same technique every the time. I don't mind either way as long as the customer is happy!