Default honey show how far to fill pint jar?

In honey show where do you fill pint jars to? The line? That seems to be only about 23 oz. Or forget the line and fill to 24 OZ

Default Re: honey show how far to fill pint jar?

Do the show rules say to use a pint jar, or some other style like Queenline or Gamber? Better check the rules.

Rules are for pint jars. I am just not sure of the fill level. In canning you fill to the line level for head space. When I fill to this point it's only 23 oz. Would that be under filled? If i fill by weight (pint=24oz) and it's over the line would that be over filled?
    Last edited by ibmerlin; 08-20-2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: spelling

The rules for judging honey may vary by each different show.

At our local Greene County Fair honey show, points were deducted for jars that showed visible air space below the lid.

You may find the following link from the Eastern Apicultural Society (EAS) useful:
    Do fill honey jars correctly. (See below) Honey must cover the bead and be about 3/8 to 1/2 inch below top with no gap visible between lid and honey. Make sure the THREADS of the jar are honey free -- it seeps down and gets the jar sticky.

Read it all here:
    http://www.easternapiculture.org/res...show-tips.html
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Look at the rules, and see if they have the judging criteria- that is really what you need to see- most will have criteria on fill line and specifications. Most honey shows require no visible air space below the lid- and honey on the lid is a points deduction so many bring an extra lid and exchange it at the show or cover with saran wrap under lid and take it off at the show.
    karla

Our rules said that they needed to be even but did not specify. I did weigh the jars and found that they actually had less honey than a pound so I will find out this weekend how we did.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)