Default New guy from Coon Valley, WI

Hello all,

I am the new guy to the forum. I am from Coon Valley, Wisconsin and this is my first year of beekeeping on my own. I grew up helping my father since I was knee-high to a grasshopper, and although it has been quite awhile since I helped Dad out due to my Navy and professional obligations, I do not come by this completely inexperienced. Since taking over my father's operation, I have had a lot of support from the local beekeeping association. They have been very helpful to me.

I have 18 hives of bees in 4 small yards, and this years harvest looks to be plentiful. I have all of the extracting done and most of the honey processed and stored in bulk containers (one 55 gallon drum and a bunch of 5 gallon buckets). I still have wax cappings that I am straining honey out of and about 25 or 30 gallons in the dispensing tank waiting for me to put in 5 gallon buckets (I ran out of buckets and am picking up more this afternoon after work). Then I have to melt down the wax and clean everything up and store away for winter. Overall I will have harvested better than 100 lbs of honey per hive, so that makes me pretty proud. And the honey is the most beautiful, light golden color that I truly believe that Dad is telling the bees to take care of me.

I have a lot of excellent equipment, including a 30-frame extractor and a motorized uncapper with oscillating knife blades, among many other items that really make this a top notch operation for a hobbyist.

Probably the most apprehensive time for me was last weekend when I set up the honey house for the first time without being the one to help Dad out. But, being fairly mechanically inclined and by doing a little "thinking like Dad thought" I got the equipment and space all set up with no problems. I have even looked at things with a critical eye, trying to find ways to improve the process, make it more efficient and ultimately provide a superior product in a smarter fashion.

I have a lot of interests that raising bees will help me accomplish and I enjoy promoting bees, beekeeping and the products of the hive. I look forward to some interesting online conversations in here. Hopefully I can contribute for the better in this forum.

Default Re: New guy from Coon Valley, WI

Welcome, it sounds like you have had a good year.

NIce, sounds like an awesome setup! I am in Slinger, WI and I have only 5 hives, but I pulled about 60lbs per hive. And I don't know about you but the honey I got this year seems to be better than I have ever had, and the people I have given it to are telling me the same thing, "best honey they have ever had!" I am wondering if the drought we had all summer long made the nectar more concentrated, either way this years honey crop is outstanding!
    Steve Wenger
    Gentleman farmer/9 year Bee Keeper

Welcome CB Chief!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com