Default REAL Northern Beekeeping Feeding Question

I have started 5 hives this year 3 Langstroth Hives and 2 TBH. The TBH seem in my novice opion to be ahead of the 3 Langs. The Langs only have 2 8 frame mediums mostly filled with brood. The season seems to be cominng to an end and I am looking for advice. Is there any hope if I feed them for them to winter over??? Any and all suggestions/opinions welcome especially anyone else this far north (20 min from Canadian border in VT)

Default Re: REAL Northern Beekeeping Feeding Question

Shane,

We have some property near Norton VT where are you located?

Island Pond

I'm not sure how different your climate is to mine, but I would be concerned if my colonies had only two 8 frame mediums. My weakest Lang has 2 deeps and a mostly filled medium (8 frame).
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Very cool. I drive right through there on 114 on my way north. We have property on Brouseau Mt about 10 min east of Norton heading towards Averill. We will have to meet sometime. My plan is to start some gives up there next spring but I am concerned about how they would fair the winter.

I would have to concur with the previous post that 2 medium 8's is very light. How much honey do they have socked away?

Not much honey stocked I really don't know what happened they seemed to be doing good but summer flew by. So is there any hope should I start feeding now???

Island Pond, Northeast Kingdom, Vermont. Winter comes early and stays late.

I've wintered bees in double, ten frame mediums, on the other side of the state. Different worlds the Champlain valley and the Kingdom. Still, I would try. Start feeding 2:1 now. Give each a gallon can above the inner cover hole. That should get them going. You'll want th feed enough to get their weight up to 80 - 90 pounds by the end of September.

Not contradicting Mr. Palmer, but it is easier to bulk up the feed later than to bulk up the population. Do as he says , but focus on populations first.

Crazy Roland

Is 2:1 for population growth and 1:1 for food stores. God not another thread on syrup ratios!

Quote Originally Posted by dnichols View Post
    Is 2:1 for population growth and 1:1 for food stores.
    The other way around. 2:1 is a heavier concentration of sugar, and helps build up stores faster.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

If your goal is to feed them sugar then give them the thickest syrup you can make. This time of year in Vermont 1:1 takes eons to evaporate down to where it will be capped. Go with 2:1 as Mike says.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

I don't feel contradicted Roland. Where Shane keeps bees...The Kingdom...can have first frost at any time now. He says his Langs are full of brood but very light. I feel he needs to get some feed on them immediately so brood rearing continues and the bees can start storing winter feed. I'm not sure how, at this time in the season, and where he is keeping bees, that he can do anything to boost population.

I never feed 1:1. Our nectar flows, starting early, provide that. If they need feed, for survival or winter stores, feed them 2:1, as they need sugar not water.

Well I thought I was jumping the gun but, I fed them yesterday 5:3 how 'bout that for a feed ratio forum. I don't know much but, I am scared to start a robbing frenzy and help with that? It seems from what I read it's just hit or miss and I need to keep an eye out...

Glad I did not step on your toes, Mr. Palmer.

Should the thickness of the syrup be gauged so that the time the syrup is applied is the longest, but yet when the time is up, the hive is full? Case in point, if the syrup was too thin, the hive would not have put away sufficient stores in time, but if the syrup was too think, they would be full before time was up, and would not have as much time for stimulation to raise brood?

With apologies to the OP for straying of topic, my son thinks that one 4 gallon pail of feed is better than 2 - 2gallon pails of feed, because with the break in feed, the queen/bees think that it is not worth ramping up egg laying for only 2 gallons.

Crazy Roland

'Nother Question about feeding.....
    There seems to be quite a bit of robbing going on across the board, all five hive seem to be robbing or attempting to rob each other. So what is the best solution? I reduced all the entrances but I am wondering about if I should continue to feed or stop for now. The weather has been decent and I have seen alot of golden rod aster and Japanese knotweed still in bloom.

Thanks,
    Shane