Default A diet of sugar is not equivalent to a diet of honey.

A diet of sugar is not equivalent to a diet of honey. Actually it is bee susceptibility to synthetic and natural xenobiotics, including the acaricide tau-fluvalinate, the agricultural pesticide imidacloprid, and the naturally occurring mycotoxin aflatoxin. These results suggest that regulation of honey bee P450s is tuned to chemicals occurring naturally in the hive environment and that, in terms of toxicological capacity, a diet of sugar is not equivalent to a diet of honey. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0031051
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: A diet of sugar is not equivalent to a diet of honey.

I would never have suggested pure sucrose was a direct substitute for honey other than the carbohydrate content.

I would never claim that pollen substitute is as good as naturally collected pollen either, but that wont' keep me from feeding bees as needed to establish a hive or to save one during a severe dearth.

However, sugar and pollen substitute fed bees will likely be live bees if there is no honey in the hive, as opposed to dead bees, which will not collect any nectar.

Peter

Default Re: A diet of sugar is not equivalent to a diet of honey.

AMERICAS BEEKEEPER is there any plants in alachua county that are nector plants or are we still in a bad enough dearth that we should feed the bees and give them a pollen sub just asking because im new at this thanks