Default 6 mesh hardware cloth

I have found it impossible to buy 6 mesh hardware cloth in my area. If anyone has any for sale I would like to purchase a small amount. 10 linear ft (more or less) would be plenty and maybe could be rolled up and shipped in a mailing tube? Just let me know how much you could spare and how much it would cost and we'll go from there. Thanks.

Default Re: 6 mesh hardware cloth

May I ask what you are looking for that size mesh hardware cloth. I was building sbb last year and could not find #6 mesh so I used 1/8inch or #8 mesh wire and it has worked fine.

I'm going to use it for Hive Beetle traps. 8 mesh is just a little too small.

Quote Originally Posted by NCbeek View Post
    I have found it impossible to buy 6 mesh hardware cloth in my area. If anyone has any for sale I would like to purchase a small amount. 10 linear ft (more or less) would be plenty and maybe could be rolled up and shipped in a mailing tube? Just let me know how much you could spare and how much it would cost and we'll go from there. Thanks.
    I don't think you will have much luck finding 6 mesh. Even if you do, be careful. Do you realize bees can get through 6 mesh? I suggest you use 7 mesh if you do not want bees to get through and 8 mesh is too small. Kelley used to sell 7 mesh by the foot (270-242-2012) as did Simpson's (740-599-7914). Don't know if they still do, but I suspect that Simpson's does.

Lloyd
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

Www.flynnenslow.com. Www.twpinc.com both seem to have it

For someone that really wants #7 hardware cloth, Grainger sells it in several lengths. However, their product is stainless steel, and priced accordingly:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rue&sst=subset
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

[QUOTE=lloyd@rossrounds.com;846275]I don't think you will have much luck finding 6 mesh. Even if you do, be careful. Do you realize bees can get through 6 mesh?
    LQUOTE]

I am using some that I bought as a trial run that have 6 mesh on them. Have only seen one bee in it but many many shb the first day. Probably depends on the thickness of the wire which in turn changes the size of the hole. Thanks for the suggestion I may try it.
    Fines are taxes for doing wrong. Taxes are fines for doing right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    For someone that really wants #7 hardware cloth, Grainger sells it in several lengths. However, their product is stainless steel, and priced accordingly:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rue&sst=subset
    They also have #6. It's over $300 a roll if I remember right. Called them a few weeks back, they can't get it in any other metal than stainless.

Are you expecting mutant beetles?

Most people use #8 and I have not heard of a single problem.
    #8 is easy to find and it is cheap.

#4 makes a good mouse guard

# 6 should not be that hard to find if you really want it and need that size.

Try these 2 places and I guarantee you can get it for a reasonable price:

http://www.bwire.com/index.html

www.mcmaster.com

It is often stated that #8 is the mesh of choice for beetle traps...that the beetles go through this size mesh just fine. It is the best sized mesh "readily available" but I've read several times and see a few pictures of beetles too large to pass through it. I think these are larger than normal beetles but still they're capable of laying plenty of eggs and may actually be big "brood" beetles. #7 appears to be the magic size, but it is all but non-existent and when found is twice the price of #8. I think if a person uses some of the in-hive traps such as the Beetle Jails in conjunction with oil trays then he's doing about all he can to battle the beetles...hopefully the in-hive traps will catch the big beetles that can't get through the screen.

Just some thoughts,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    Are you expecting mutant beetles?

Most people use #8 and I have not heard of a single problem.
    #8 is easy to find and it is cheap.

#4 makes a good mouse guard
    1. No, I guess we just grow them bigger here
    2. I've always been the oddball, and I fully believe they are missing some beetles.
    3. Sure is. can get it 10 miles from my house.
    4. #4 also makes a good fish trap if you do it right, but we're getting off topic here

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    but I've read several times and see a few pictures of beetles too large to pass through it. I think these are larger than normal beetles but still they're capable of laying plenty of eggs and may actually be big "brood" beetles.

Ed
    I think my beetles are too big also, but a lot of people disagree. I'll have to take my camera out next time I open them up. I may be a while but I've got to prove or disprove my thinking.

Thanks everyone for your websites and advice. I am withdrawing my original posting. I am no longer looking for this hardware cloth. Seems though that this has sparked some ongoing discussion about what size mesh to use. As with everything in the bee keeping world everyone has a different opinion and a basis for that opinion. If I can get pictures, I would like to take this discussion to the proper forum.
    Again, Thank You to everyone who responded.

I've looked but can't find them... Someone posted a picture of a large shb sitting on #8 mesh and there was no way that it could've gone through the mesh unless it somehow flexed or folded it's body up smaller (which they might can do, I don't know). It seems the poster then showed how the same beetle looked sitting on some #6 or #7 mesh. Maybe someone will post a link to it.

Ed

I remember that too. Can't find them. I'll try to take my own pics.