Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Washing Gloves

Default Re: Washing Gloves

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    ......WD 40 or Olive Oil? Wash them first then apply or just apply???
    Not wd40, olive oil works fine. And i washed mine first, soap and water.

Anything leather use saddlesoap on them. I try and scoop out about a teaspoon full from the container with my gloves on and then fake wash my hands to get it worked in real well. After a minute or so dry your gloved hands with a rag and then do the same again until you get what you want in the way of clean.
    I've also used tanning oil on them to make them soft. It removes propolis like baby oil will remove tar from your feet when you go to the beach.
    Either of the 2 will make the glove soft and clean and easier to work with.

Get some FGMO (mineral oil laxitive from the pharmacy). Put the gloves on. Use soap and water and wash the gloves like you wash your hands. Let them dry. Soak them in mineral oil and put them on again. Dry them on a paper towel like you are drying your hands, until you fell they are not too greasy anymore. The FGMO has no smell and does not get hard later.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The best thing for leather is neatsfoot oil or mink oil. Mink oil is a little different than neatsfoot oil. I use neatsfoot oil on all my leather goods. Especially leather such as gloves. Saddle soap has neatsfoot oil in it. You can buy neatsfoot oil at Tandy Leather, and in years past at Walmart, (not sure about now), shoe repair shops usually have it, too.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil
    "I mess with bees not for the honey, but in order not to have played golf."

Drat, Redbud! Read all this way, to see if I needed to report how the GIs take care of their boots.

Quote Originally Posted by wcubed View Post
    Drat, Redbud! Read all this way, to see if I needed to report how the GIs take care of their boots.
    Ha!

An old saddle maker in Burnet, Texas says to use extra virgin olive oil on soft leather surfaces. It works well on leather furniture. Just rub in a wee bit from time to time.

Oil your gloves BEFORE you use them. Olive oil, WD40, mink oil, canola oil, whatever. Give them a light coat, "wash your hands" motion to spread and soak in the oil. Not so much as to feel greasy but well oiled. Beeswax, honey and propolis will then be removable with a dry wash rag or a stiff brush.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

I could never seen any difference in using saddle soap and just soap. But there is nothing wrong with saddle soap. I used to think neetsfoot oil was better than mineral oil. My experience has not proven that out. The neetsfoot oil eventually gets hard and brittle if you don't stay up on oiling the leather repeatedly. The mineral oil never gets hard a brittle. Any vegatable oil I've used also gets brittle eventually. Mink oil is ok, but doesn't last as long as vasoline does and doesn't work any better. Vasoline also never gets brittle. The best (if I have time I do it) is vasoline mixed with beeswax. This lasts better and never gets brittle and is more waterproof than anything else. Melt the beeswax and add just enough vasoline that when it cools it is a very stiff paste. This also works well as hoof dressing. Some people like to also add pine tar to the hoof dressing.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I could never seen any difference in using saddle soap and just soap. But there is nothing wrong with saddle soap. I used to think neetsfoot oil was better than mineral oil. My experience has not proven that out. The neetsfoot oil eventually gets hard and brittle if you don't stay up on oiling the leather repeatedly. The mineral oil never gets hard a brittle. Any vegatable oil I've used also gets brittle eventually. Mink oil is ok, but doesn't last as long as vasoline does and doesn't work any better. Vasoline also never gets brittle. The best (if I have time I do it) is vasoline mixed with beeswax. This lasts better and never gets brittle and is more waterproof than anything else. Melt the beeswax and add just enough vasoline that when it cools it is a very stiff paste. This also works well as hoof dressing. Some people like to also add pine tar to the hoof dressing.
    ========================================

Hey! You just made some Sno-Seal! I use that on my Bean Boots. I knew those bees were good for something!
    http://www.atsko.com/waterproofing/1330.html

A lot of folks are saying use olive oil, I assume using my wife's beloved lemon infused olive oil would create an interesting experience. 😉

Crisco is just fine for this purpose.
    Wash your hands with your gloves on, then let them dry a bit, Crisco them until they are saturated, let them dry up a bit more and take the excess off with a towel. The water on the leather will prevent excess Crisco and allow for just a surface penetration and a soft finish.

Saddle makers use this technic on the southwest for protecting and water proofing leather goods.

I use Saddle Soap. You can find it in the grocery store next to the shoe polish.it smells good and the bees don't mind. It will wash off propolis but won't remove the stains. After rubbing it into the leather you can get your gloves wet several times such as washing off honey and the gloves won't shrink or get stiff when they dry. For the cloth portion I have used laundry detergent, OxyClean and a scrub brush.

Quote Originally Posted by VARyan View Post
    A lot of folks are saying use olive oil, I assume using my wife's beloved lemon infused olive oil would create an interesting experience. 
    Not to stir the pot...But if I were you...Wouldn't the virgin olive oil bee better than the regular olive oil? Do you really want virgin oil from Italy on your hands when you have Italian bees? What does the queen say? I mean the real Queen...Hmmmm...
    Last edited by Redbug; 03-06-2014 at 03:13 PM.

I wash mine at the same time I wash my bee jacket but I do not use cholrine bleach I also use warm water Then air dry

I use the same stuff that I clean the hive tool with between inspecting hives ie washing soda diluted 300g to a litre of water. This will get rid of the propolis and kill any bugs. Rinse it off with water after using it though.

Quote Originally Posted by beejeezers View Post
    I use the same stuff that I clean the hive tool with between inspecting hives ie washing soda diluted 300g to a litre of water. ... Rinse it off with water after using it though.
    What's "washing soda?"
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

They do have their place, but leather gloves are high maintenance as well as clumsy. Instead, I usually use rubber dishwashing goves I buy at the super market. If I want to wash them, I just put them on and then wash my hands. Or, they are cheap enough to just toss them and start with a new pair.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

>What's "washing soda?"

It's in the laundry ailse at the grocery store. AKA Sodium Carbonate AKA Na2CO3

>as well as clumsy

I buy the buckskin gloves. I don't usually, but I can, and have, caught queens while wearing them. But maybe some of that dexterity while wearing gloves is from working out in -10 F weather doing carpentry for many years...

> I usually use rubber dishwashing goves I buy at the super market

From a stinging point of view they work fine. I cannot stand them. My hands sweat constantly and they very quickly start to smell really bad from all the rancid sweat. I hate my hands staying wet all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The best (if I have time I do it) is vasoline mixed with beeswax. Melt the beeswax and add just enough vasoline that when it cools it is a very stiff paste.
    Michael, got a formula? X parts beeswax, X parts vaseline?
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast