Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washing Gloves

Default Washing Gloves

Can anybody please tell me how they clean their leather gloves. Mine have been stung several times and my bees make a great deal of propolis so my gloves are covered in this sticky stuff. Please any suggestions would be well taken.

Default Re: Washing Gloves

I'd like to hear an answer to this one too. I've washed my gloves in the washer and my 2XL gloves are now so tight that I can barely fit into them.
    To find out more about me go to
    www.broomsbylittlejohn.com

I have only worn mine about 3 times in the last two seasons, but when I wore them every day, I would wash them in the washing machine and let them air dry. When they were still slightly damp, I put my hands in them and wore them 10 or so minutes, flexing as they dried the rest of the way. They pretty much held size.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

I've washed mine a couple times in the washing machine. Air dry. They seem to be fine. I assume that if you over-do it, it will definitely damage the leather. To me it's worth it to have clean gloves, and I'll buy new ones when they rot.

Quote Originally Posted by jamneff View Post
    Can anybody please tell me how they clean their leather gloves. Mine have been stung several times and my bees make a great deal of propolis so my gloves are covered in this sticky stuff. Please any suggestions would be well taken.
    I wear " Plastic type" gloves. While the bees can sting through them they do give excellent grip, are cheap enough to dispose off when they get to dirty. I do have leather gloves but just about never wear them anymore

I washed my gloves in a bucket with water and dish soap.that gets most of everything off except for the propolis stains. Then let them dry most of the way and then rub in some olive oil and they stay soft for a long time.

I have not tried this, but have read that if you freeze the gloves the propolis will become brittle and slapping the frozen gloves against a hard surface will cause it to break free.
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by jpelley View Post
    I washed my gloves in a bucket with water and dish soap.that gets most of everything off except for the propolis stains. Then let them dry most of the way and then rub in some olive oil and they stay soft for a long time.
    I too follow this procedure. An old saddle maker, told me years ago that olive oil is the best preservative for leather. My wife puts a thin coat on our leather furniture from time to time. A little bit goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by wildforager View Post
    I've washed my gloves in the washer and my 2XL gloves are now so tight that I can barely fit into them.
    Did you wash them in cold water? Geez, this sounds like an TV ad............
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Anybody try try WD-40? I use heavy house cleaning gloves.

Recently read that it is good on leather. Put it on a new baseball glove to break glove in. Spray on leather shoes to water proof them.

??????
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

If you mean leather or rubber coated cloth gloves, why not discard them? You have no tactile feel or ability to safely grip through them because they are too thick and clumsy. You should give a try to nitrile heavy duty disposable gloves made by Weatern Safety. They are available through Harbor Freight, (50 Piece X-Large 7 Mil Powder-Free Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves) catalog number 68506 for a package of 50 for less than $10.00. That is about $0.40 a pair. They are 7 mills thick and have long gauntlets and are good for many inspections. Never had a sting through them. It is helpful to keep a bucket of water with you in the apiary to wash honey off the gloves.

Of course the other question is: why even bother with gloves?

Steve

I juat put my gloves on and wash them like I am washing my hands, in cold or warm water. most everything comes off - if I have to scrape a little propolis off, well thats ok too.

then I take them off and let them dry in shaded area - or inside,, I do not put in the dryer.

Once in a while I put some leather preservative on them,, but NOT MUCH! been using the same gloves for over 11 yrs now.

Like right above - I simply put them on and wash them in hot water, no soaps. I then wear them, moving my fingers around until they are cool, and then hang to air dry. This is the recommended method to not only clean them, but to fit them to your hands as they will slightly shrink when put into hot water, but relax quite a bit when worn wet.

Worried about them being ruined? When I first bought my gloves I used NIXWAX leather weatherproofer used for expensive goat skin snowboarding gloves I use. It's a linseed oil, bees wax...concoction that does WONDERS for preserving your leather. I typically treat them once a year, after I harvest honey, washed, dried, then treated. (What's funny is you put this stuff on your gloves then place your gloves in the oven to heat it up and soak the solution into your gloves, first time I did this, my girlfriend thought I had lost it....baking my gloves)

Wash them on your hands as said and rinse them off well in running warm water and dry well the same as you would dry your hands; while they are still damp and on your hands, work in the olive before putting them to dry. Much easier than trying to get the oil in after.

For general care I have a leather cleaner that I use for our shoes/bags, etc, that works very well to condition the leather and clean it. If honey is on the glove, I just rinse it quickly then clean it. When the propolis has built up, I've put the gloves in the freezer to chip off the propolis but they thaw very quickly so it's not as effective as I would like. I like my gloves very much because they're small enough for my hands (child size) and thin enough to feel everything but still not get stung.
    I try to clean them every few inspections because I worry about the alarm pheromone from the stings...

Buy new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by mrobinson View Post
    Buy new ones.
    mrobinson actually makes a good point.
    I live in an area where AFB is active. It is well known that the disease is carried from hive to hive with honey and any other products from the hive. While we may never eliminate risk, good hygiene is an important aspect to minimise the issue. I note above that Nitril gloves are very cheap in the US ( they are about double the price here -still cheap) and I have decided to use " plastic type" - eg Nitril gloves. It is possible to wash them and soak them in Chlorine to minimise risk - and get new ones quite often.
    ( I clean the hive tool after each hive inspection, wash the brush and soak in Chlorine or Bleach, regularly " burn" the hive tool in a container with some Metho, rarely swap frames from one hive to another...anything to minimise cross-contamination)
    Lwatehr gloves seem to be agood way to spread diseases.

Anybody try torching them?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I throw mine in the washing machine with warm water, detergent, and oxy-clean, then air dry. So far they've come out pretty soft (goatskin), but the propolis stains won't budge. Mostly it's to get off the sting residue - about 3 dozen zaps yesterday when the second hive I opened went berserk for no clear reason. My talented bees can sting right through the leather with ease.

Any thoughts on what's best to lubricate them ......WD 40 or Olive Oil? Wash them first then apply or just apply???
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver