Thread: pear mead

Hybrid View

Default pear mead

it was a bumper year for our two pear trees this year. i'm not sure what variety they are, but they get pretty big, are very juicy, and are more green than yellow in color.

i ended up with about 12 gallons of juice just from some of the peelings left over after canning.

i let it ferment peelings and all until it slowed down, then strained out the juice, and have since added some sugar.

the fermentation is definitely slowing down, and adding sugar doesn't seem to kick it off like it did.

i'm guessing i need to add some yeast. any recommendations as to what kind of yeast?

i will be extracting honey soon as well, and though i might add some honey to the mix. have any of you added honey to pear wine?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Default Re: pear mead

Lalvin EC-1118 is what I use for my cyser.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

thanks bc, i'll try to locate some. i had to look up "cyser". i also found a recipe.

my only experience is a one time shot at making muscadine wine. all i did was crush up the grapes, let it ferment for a week or two, strain, and added sugar until the alcohol content was right.

that's pretty much what i have done so far with the pears. the recipe involves boiling and adding yeast after.

it's been about three weeks since i started this batch. i wonder if it is too late to get it right. should i wait for the honey, add it, boil, and then add yeast?

Costco had some really good plums... I'm going to make something with plums and some white grape juice.
    BeeCurious

that sounds like it would be really good. can you share your recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    that sounds like it would be really good. can you share your recipe?
    I'll try to measure things. For now, as the plums become very ripe they'll be washed, pitted, and pressed into a freezer container, and frozen until sometime in October or November when I'll put everything together to slowly ferment. I'm a believer in slow fermentation.
    BeeCurious