Hybrid View

Default Wretched rotten SHB and traps that don't work

First - I made some traps using the thin CD cases baited with a mixture of crisco, honey, wax, and boric acid. After 2 weeks NOT ONE beetle in them.

So where were the beetles? They were burrowed under and into the pollen patties, which were alive with larvae!! Ick yuck gag smash. I murdered every one, adults and wigglers, but I'm horrified that I may have been a beetle enabler this summer.

So - what's wrong with my traps? The boric acid I used was Roach Prufe (the only kind the hardware store had - are there others readily available?). I noted it was manufactured by a copper company, and the powder and resultant mixture are a pale mint green. Could the (apparent) copper content be repelling the beetles? Do they just Not Like my nice honey?

Anybody else note this nasty relationship with pollen patties? I took 'em off and won't replace until late fall or early spring.

Default Re: Wretched rotten SHB and traps that don't work

In my limited experience, pollen patties (of the size that are produced commercially) are a magnet for SHB. Provides a great protein source and plenty of surface area beneath the patty that the bees can't reach. I cut them down to small pieces, about 2 X 2 inches in size and maybe put in only 1 or two at a time. That way it isn't more than the bees can handle at one time and the SHB can't get a start in them. I never had any luck with the CD case mixture either. Do a search for the Sonny-Mel SHB trap. It's made from easy to find (and cheap) household items and actually DOES catch beetles.

Thanks for the pointer - looks like a good approach, and non-toxic.

I was so shocked at the infestation that I posted without searching, later found some discussions of the patty/SHB connection. Yuck. Smaller pieces sounds like a good idea.

Search "making shb traps with Fatbeeman. I'm using them and I can test they are working great. I'm also using screen bottom boards with trays, oil in some and lime in others.

Nastly little bugs!! I use the freeman beetle trap and also the clear plastic beetle jail. I have been happy with both traps. When I feed pollen I feed it dry outside of the hive, and dont use pollen patties. Although I have in the winter, made sugar bricks and put some pollen substitute in them. Havent noticed any shb on them.

Put some patty in there to bait them in. I would think the pollen patty was just more attractive to them. I think in order for the traps to work, your bees really need to put pressure on them to hide unless you have a good bait in there, at least better bait then the pollen patties.

I use little stands made from pieces of folded 1/2" square wire mesh, folded so it acts as a stand for the pollen sub patties, lets the bees access them from all sides, that way it's possible for them to guard them against invaders/thieves.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni