Default Greetings from Green Creek, North Carolina

Hello all.

Thanks to the mods and owners of this site for creating this resource.

I am a totally new beekeeper. I do not even have a hive yet. My plan is to build a TBH this winter.

My wife and I bought 15 acres here. We have old growth sour wood trees in our woods, and several fruit trees around our home. Seems like an ideal place for honey bees. We do have some Euro Hornets in the area, and a lot of yellow jackets. I have seen very few honey bees around.

I don't really have any hobbies anymore. Mainly, it is working my place. If I ever get any spare time, I like to watch college football.

I work as a S.C. attorney in Greenville.

Greetings again and God bless.

Edwin

Default Re: Greetings from Green Creek, North Carolina

Welcome to the forum, Edwin. Lot's of good information here. Sounds like you have a nice place for some bees. Put out some yellow jacket traps now and later in early spring (hopefully to catch some queens before they start nesting). I saw very fee honey bees around my place until I got bees....now I see them here and there and it makes me smile.

Look strongly at going with Langstroth hives, I don't think you would regret doing so. I've seen several suggestions that Langstroth hives are more user-friendly for newbees (like me). I'm using all 8-frame medium boxes in Langstroth hives...easily swap equipment and most importantly, frames of brood, resources (honey/pollen), etc.,. If you go with with top bar hives I take it that you are planning on using "crush and strain" to harvest your honey?

Best wishes have loads of fun with the bees...but fair warning...it *is* addictive!!! (so good thing you have few other hobbies to interfere!)
    Ed

Welcome to beekeeping,

Please join one of the associations NC or SC - lots of people who have made many mistakes and you may learn from them,,

I would recommend you look at Wyatt Mangum's TBH book before building - he has MANY good ideas in there.

be thinking about where you will be placing the hive,, full sun is better, and how you are going to protect them from bears,, and such,,,

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by beegeorge View Post
    Welcome to beekeeping,

Please join one of the associations NC or SC - lots of people who have made many mistakes and you may learn from them,,

I would recommend you look at Wyatt Mangum's TBH book before building - he has MANY good ideas in there.

be thinking about where you will be placing the hive,, full sun is better, and how you are going to protect them from bears,, and such,,,

Good luck!!
    Thanks. I do intend to buy the book. Sounds like with all of the pictures it will be invaluable.

As far as I know, we have not had any bears in our neighborhood yet. I'm not sure how one would go about protecting a hive from bears. A stout fence?

I have a good spot for the hive, eastern facing against my woods and in full sun. I just will need to negotiate a bit with my wife because she wants to run the horses through there.

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Edwin. Lot's of good information here. Sounds like you have a nice place for some bees. Put out some yellow jacket traps now and later in early spring (hopefully to catch some queens before they start nesting). I saw very fee honey bees around my place until I got bees....now I see them here and there and it makes me smile.

Look strongly at going with Langstroth hives, I don't think you would regret doing so. I've seen several suggestions that Langstroth hives are more user-friendly for newbees (like me). I'm using all 8-frame medium boxes in Langstroth hives...easily swap equipment and most importantly, frames of brood, resources (honey/pollen), etc.,. If you go with with top bar hives I take it that you are planning on using "crush and strain" to harvest your honey?

Best wishes have loads of fun with the bees...but fair warning...it *is* addictive!!! (so good thing you have few other hobbies to interfere!)
    Ed
    Thanks. I am less concerned with honey production than cost, which is why the TBH option is attractive to me. I am also a poor carpenter but I think I can build a TBH. And, yes I'll have to use the crush and strain method for harvesting.

Welcome Edwin! If you use an electric fence for bears, it has to be up and working before the hives are there. If you put the hive there first the bears will go over, under, or through your fence. You will need to keep the horses from knocking over the hive anyway.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome from South Carolina Edwin.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

welcome fellow NC'er.
    You will enjoy building your TBH, I did!!
    Good luck