Default What happen whens grafting if 2 larva go into one cell

Anybody know what the bees will do if 2 larva are in one cell.
    Will they throw out the youngest or the oldest, or both etc.
    Reason I ask, (don't knock it, just trying to learn), if you grafted 2 into one cell and the bee automatically pulled the older larva I expect that would be a bonus because the remaining larva is surrounded by more jelly and has a better chance, or does it not. Since when grafting you leave behind so much jelly in the cell this could be a bonus? Possible, or would they reject both etc.

Default Re: What happen whens grafting if 2 larva go into one cell

It depends. Perhaps some times they eliminate one, but I've seen them leave both in the same cell. Then neither develop properly and that cell won't produce a proper queen.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Twins! LOL
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

The embryos will merge and a queen with two heads and the ability to lay twice as many eggs will emerge.
    Seriously my guess would be that both larva will fail due to lack of space or they will both be removed. From what I have observed bees are very quick to recognize defective but not so keen on realizing just when they have solved the problem. they sort of go into seek and destroy mode for a bit.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I've broken down hundreds of queen cells. I've seen queen pupae that were pointing the wrong direction (head-up instead of head-down); some that were bent over in half; double pupae (apparently the situation referred to in the opening post). With double pupae they may have emerged together (probably would try to kill each other even before emerging - preventing that from happening), but if either survived the experience, it most likely wouldn't be very viable, those I've seen reach sealed cell stage, were all tiny (smaller than worker, tiny), so wouldn't likely become very successful queens.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni