Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Number of hives in signiture line

Is it possible to modify the sig line so that "number of hives" has a place at the top of the post so that the question doesn't have to be asked all the time?
    This would also allow the reader to get an insight to someones question or answer as you will take into consideration the number of hives they have. I understand it would need to be optional, but I'd certainly enjoy reading a comment or question and see how many hives the poster has, as it is something I ask myself every time I read something (I wonder how many hives they have and how their view relates to the post or to me)
    Comments welcome, for or against, but of course you have to tell me how many hives you have!
    I have one, and a tiny nuc trying to survive out of winter.

Default Re: Number of hives in signiture line

You can set your Tag Line any way you wish, up to a certain number of letter spaces. How about how many years a beekeeper too?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Sorry I am against it and the reason being that this type of thing can lead to members being judged in the comments that they make as to what their experience or competency level might be, I have already seen this ugliness rear it's head up. This forum has a profile section and a signature line for this type of thing if you so desire to use it.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

In many cases listing the number of hives would only be used to brag or lend credibility to someone's post.

If that were the case I would need to also see photos of each hive,condition of equipment,goals of beekeeper, production spreadsheet, region, health records of beekeeper, available capital, P&L statement etc. I might then be able to judge the value of post or whatever that # is suppose to represent. Anyone can have a bunch of hives it's what your doing with them, why and with what resources that matter.

I prefer to read the post and use them as a starting point for my own education.

I met a guy last year that was picking up 20 nucs from a vendor I was at. He had never kept bees before, but was determined he was going to make a living at it. His business plan was 20 in 2012 then 200 in 2013. After speaking with him for about 5 minutes while his truck was being loaded, it was painfully obvious he didn't have even the first clue about bees or beekeeping. Even the basic biology or care.

That guy (if he is/was on this forum) could put "20 hives" and by virtue of that "qualifier" many people would judge his opinion to be worth something. In reality, I'll bet that this winter or next spring he'll have a whoooole bunch of hardware for sale cheap.
    "Teach your kids to hunt and fish, and you won't have to hunt for your kids"
    Four Ridge Apiaries www.fourridgebees.com

I dont know about the rest of you, but the number of hives I have is always fluid, and ever changing. Plus the number of hives is also a bad indicator.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

The number of hives won't really tell you much. There's beeks that have decades of experiance and success, but they choose to
    keep only a few hives. I have nine "hives" currently, up from two last summer. It doesn't mean I know a darn thing.

Yeah, I currently have 18 and I feel like I don't know squat.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Ditto, I am only in this 3 years and have 8 hives. I would be happy to think I have some of the basics covered.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

I really do not count them until I put them in the blue berries, have been as high as 345 but every time SQTCRK visits I find out i don't know much.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    You can set your Tag Line any way you wish, up to a certain number of letter spaces. How about how many years a beekeeper too?
    I would think that would go in your profile under "About Me"

It should, I guess, but it doesn't have to and it can be posted in one's Tag Line, if one wishes.

How about a Beekeepers index.
    Number of hives x years keeping bees - the number of hive tools you lost divided by the number of smokers you've run over = Beekeeper index!

I like it. Mind if I lie? Whenever USDA Ag Statistics call me with their questionaire I always set the ground rules and make sure they understand that whatever I tell them is probably wrong, ie, a lie. As long as they understand that I'll answer as best I can, but it's not like I have the answers to their questions in accurate number files right in front of me.

So, my Beekeepers Index would go like this: 400 hives X 36 years - 4 / 3= 4798.666666666

I don't know that hive tool number seems a little low. Truth be told I set up the index to allow for losing a bunch without sever penalty. I "misplace" them from time to time! I've yet to run over my smoker!

You got some catching up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    Number of hives x years keeping bees - the number of hive tools you lost divided by the number of smokers you've run over = Beekeeper index!
    I call that bee hive years. One hive for one year is one bee hive year. Ten bee hives for 10 years would equal one hundred bee hives for one year.

I don't know that hive tool number seems a little low. Truth be told I set up the index to allow for losing a bunch without sever penalty. I "misplace" them from time to time! I've yet to run over my smoker!
    OMG I'm well over like a million...nah not quite but......oh wait I still have to factor in the hive tool and smoker destruction index. Considering I usually buy around four of each per year but can rarely find one when I really need it I think that might put me in the red. Yes a loaded truck can really turn a smoker into some interesting artwork.
    Actually I think putting hives and experience on your signature line isn't a great idea. I have found some folks get real defensive about such things. The unique thing about internet forums is that you get judged on here by the content of your posts, nobody knows any trivial stuff to judge you on. Some of the brightest folks on here don't have a lot of hives but are quite perceptive. People that spend some time on here start to figure out pretty quickly who knows what they are talking about and who......well you get the idea.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Can we factor in how gallons of honey you scrapped off the extracting room floor this year? That might improve my score.
    Does dropping the smoker enough until the bottom pops off, equal running over them?

And what about a gender factor? I'm in 3rd year and still on my original smoker. No hive tool losses--the one item I've lost twice now is queen catcher.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast