Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Default Re: Are you ready for the Odfrank overwintering challenge?

Out of 5 big colonies and 12 nucs I lost 2 big colonies and 8 nucs leaving me with 3 bigs and 4 nucs.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Alright everyone, the challenge is over.
    Hold on there Charlie, you're a bit premature. There happens to be real estate beyond the country of California, and we're nowhere close to spring yet, so this challenge is still on. Must be real tough for you guys that don't have a winter to deal with! What a challenge!
    Regards, Barry

Lost 2 of 7 for a 29% loss.
    Worst year in 3 years.
    Dan

Started with two, lost two. No treatments, all natural, all lost. This year I plan 6 to 8 hives.

lost 6 out of 18. one definitely mites, the others appear to be queen failure. did not treat for mites and used virtually no syrup.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

The winter time frame for the purposes of this challenge is October 1, 2012 to March 1, 2013.

This is an overwintering thread, not a treatment thread. You can say you're treatment free but we shouldn't have discussions about it other than that. Please don't ask if any part of what you do in beekeeping is treatment free. There are other forums for that.

Thanks!
    I'd argue that. Seems it would help some assess the relevance of the varieties of "treatment."

>Must be real tough for you guys that don't have a winter to deal with! What a challenge!

Because we have no winter, there is no brood break and the mites have a year round season.

Point taken. Do you feel it's harder to "over winter" bees in California than areas that get snow and cold for months in a row and bees stay in cluster during that time?
    Regards, Barry

I have not had time to make the rounds and make a tally. Wife needed me for a trips to the mall, mistress had to go to the fancy new Japanese restaurant in town and also shoe shopping. Spent a few days helping sexy young blonde I met at the bee club assembling her new Lang. I don't know why at my age I spend so much time on women. Lot of bee work I have to get done.

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    100% survival with 6 hives, strong and heavy with stores.
    Very nice Bill. You should have a good honey crop this year!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

>Do you feel it's harder to "over winter" bees in California than areas that get snow and cold for months

I do know that the losses right here on the peninsula have been massive since 2006. And amazingly, lots of beginners losing brand new hives from packages in brand new boxes on Ritecell foundation. So clearly this is not a comb renewal problem. And would the contaminants in the tiny bit of wax on plastic foundation contribute to the losses? And how could it be a nutrition problem? Bees in suburbia with hundreds of different types of flowers blooming year round? And a massive eucalyptus flow starting in October? We do have year around DWV and most folks are treatment free. The bees die in mass during cold, wet weather even though they can fly most afternoons and the strong ones are bringing pollen. All I can figure is that it is mite vectored viruses.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Point taken. Do you feel it's harder to "over winter" bees in California than areas that get snow and cold for months in a row and bees stay in cluster during that time?
    This is just a theory I have. I'm not an entomologist or a scientific researcher but I think because of our milder climate, we get no brood break and the mite populations don't die like they would in a much colder climate. It's interesting that the cold climate hives seem to be doing better so far or it could be that we Bay Area keeps are not that good at beekeeping!

Joel,

I think it's fine to say if you treat and with what. I just wanted to avoid any hijacking of this thread with heated treatment discussions.

This is just a theory I have. I'm not an entomologist or a scientific researcher but I think because of our milder climate, we get no brood break and the mite populations don't die like they would in a much colder climate.
    There's that Jarrett guy down south of you that brags about having hives with too many bees in them. More hives than he knows what to do with! Wonder what the difference is.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    There's that Jarrett guy down south of you that brags about having hives with too many bees in them. More hives than he knows what to do with! Wonder what the difference is.
    That's an easy one. The difference is between commercial factory farming beekeeping and hobbiest treatment free beekeeping. Kieth is in business to produce bees for pollination and packages, not to supply boutique treatment free local honey. He keeps thousands of hives where there is forage for almost none. His bees are fed like pigs at a trough and medicated regularly for mites. Our bees forage naturally and are not fed or medicated. If we exchanged a few hives with Kieth our bees would survive under his regimen and his bees would die under ours. The day we started packing our hives with Nutrabee and hosing them with miticides sprayed out of garden sprayers our bees will likely survive also.

no sense in beating around the bush odfrank, why not just tell it like it is?
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    no sense in beating around the bush odfrank, why not just tell it like it is?
    My last name is Frank, I have a hard time living that down.

Well Odfrank if you think it is that easy, why not try it on some of your hives. There is a bit more to it than that, but you heading in the right direction.

Jean-Marc

Oh and a 8.2% loss on the outfit.

No losses here. I woudn't have minded just one, as now I am already out of dark comb for bait boxes. I have 5 boxes out. But that is a different thread...

Oh, and this is the winter I was supposed to lose hives to varroa, according to a lifetime beekeeper.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

I didn't register, but I lost 1 of 2 during our first Jan cold spell. I overwintered mine in a chicken coop. After the first one died, I decided to use a heat lamp with a thermostat which turned on at around 35 deg, and off at 40 deg during our second Jan cold spell. Door to coop was shut (dark) until just today when I wrestled out the surviving hive and put them in the 51 deg sun for the first time this year. No brood or eggs (I assume because it was dark). Took video of them flying about happily and put it on my blog (http://jorgedenton.blogspot.com/). I did see the queen.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast