Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Are you ready for the Odfrank overwintering challenge?

123K views 416 replies 68 participants last post by  BayHighlandBees 
#1 ·
We've had to listen to Jolly Ollie brag all year about all the swarms he's caught so let's see how well he does at keeping them alive all winter.

We'll go by number of hives lost beginning October 1, 2012 thru March 1, 2013. Check in with the number of hives you have as of October 1st. if you want to participate so get done with all your combines and such before then.

Ollie may be old, bald and cheap but he's as honest as they come so we'll go by the honor system like we did the swarm challenge. Last I heard, Ollie had 60 hives. Is that right Ollie?

#103 ·
As all beekeepers are 100% honest I feel that we should allow entries until 12/31/12 as long as they base their starting count on 10/1/12.

#105 ·
I am treatment free most years (for varroa,shb, or bee squirts (sorry couldn't remember name)) I have treated in the past with oxalic acid vaporization, Fall of 2011 I did, This fall I'm not.

Going into winter with 3 Single story deep hives, 2 double deep hives, 3 nucs, 2 double mediums, and 1 triple medium. 2 of the Nucs had been in fullsize hives, but didn't have time (or resources, dang drought) to build up to that strengh so I moved them back to nucs. Of course I'm 100% honest, but that has more to do with being a Boy Scout(40 years old and still try to live that way) than a Beekeeper LOL A scout is trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful...
Rod

#185 ·
So far so good. None lost yet, but with how light they are I am scared to death I'm gonna lose them. I am throwing sugar on them or putting out feeders on days that are 50ish and above. Of course winter hasn't really started here yet so the real test will come in jan and feb. By then if we get flying days they will at least be able to go out and find some pollen. Long live MSMs (Missouri Survivor Mutts)

Rod

#106 ·
Glad it isn't too late to join! As of October 1st I had (still have) two hives. One NWC and one Buckfast. They are top bar and both small enough that they could be considered nucs. They are both pretty good on honey/sugar stores, maybe a little low on pollen in one, and I tried to manage pests but stay chemical free. The one that was low on pollen has a smaller cluster but is doing okay so far.

#368 ·
It was warm enough out today when I got home to check if they were flying and look in the observation window on the hive that has one. An inspection will have to wait for a better day, but it looks like I lost one of the two. The Buckfast hive (this was the one low on pollen) was flying and had bees busy in the hive. The NWC hive wasn't flying and I pulled out a cork that is filling an old entrance near where the cluster was and all I could see was dead bees so I am pretty sure they died out.

That gives me a 50% loss but I really won't be secure in that until I know the queen made it, is laying, and it is past April 1st rather than the March 1st of the challenge.

In December I made "candy bars" with a small percent of pollen in them and put them in the hives. In February in the waning light the last 50+ day before the temps dropped and weather hit I moved the candy bar in the Buckfast hive right next to the remaining two bars of bees because I had seen through the observation window they were really low in stores and the cluster refused to move. I didn't do the same in the NWC hive because the last inspection they had moved next to the candy. I won't know until I inspect if it played a role but it could have.

#109 ·
So far I still have all four but work and Family medical emergiencies have kept me from getting my winter covers with candy on the hives. Should hit 50 tomorrow with no wind so I am going for it and will hope for no ill effects!

#111 ·
On 10/1/12 I had three splits and three mature hives. I still have them. My last inspection was a week ago, and since I am on my way to knee replacement surgery early in the morning, I don't think my bees will be bothered by me for a month or so. All of my hives had good honey stores, and I am not, nor do I intend to, feed them this winter. I may try a spring boost feeding, but then again, I may not.

#112 ·
I just found this thread so I'm another latecomer. As of 10/1 I had 6 hives and as of today still do. I am a "treater" and treated for mites three times by three different methods in 2012. Good luck to all.

I will report back on 3/31/2013. This is a good idea and will give a lot of good information. We all need to know if our treatment cost are paid back in saved hives.

#116 ·
You both look suspicious to me, especially that doberman, what do you think Charlie, can we trust them?

#118 ·
I would like to add my 7 hives as of 1 October into the challenge. No treatment, low mite drop count, mostly double deep + medium, wrapped, and top feed can fed. Had a 14% loss last winter and going for a zero % loss this winter.

Honesty is important as mentioned by rweakly (Post #105). My first Boy Scout merit badge was "Beekeeping" in ~1954.

OD; The five remaining beebee tree saplings (out of 25) that I bought from you two years ago have reached an astounding average height of 24 inches. Honestly!

Steve

#122 ·
Ollie. I think you could probably learn a thing or two from Adrian on hive box appearance.
How does that ugly pastel green look better than my nice olive green?
In your 42nd year of hive accumulation come show me that yours are all the same color.
Its not how you make it big but how big you make it.

#120 ·
Here's me and my gorgeous bride with our first bee package several years ago. She then kicked me out of the kitchen after our first honey harvest. Something about her feet sticking to the floor.

Tree Vehicle Travel Car Technology
Stock pot Small appliance

I forgive you dear!

#126 ·
Lost one. Is mid-sixties today and sunny so I went out to watch the bees. One hive just did not look right. Way too much activity and no pollen going in. Decided to open it up and found it was being robbed out. Had been queenless and also looked to have gone laying worker before it died out.

On the plus side I caught the robbing early enough that I was able to snatch 2 1/2 medium boxes of capped or just torn open honey off of it. Since it was warm I opened any hive/nuc that I was worried was low on food and gave them some frames of food. I still have a couple that are very weak,(made them up too late), but none that are low on stores now.

#127 · (Edited)
I think I am down a nuc. I put my mating nucs out split in half and as I said in September it was a final ditch effort to get them QR. It hit 50 out here and the big yellow thing shone itself for a brief instant. All were flying but one nuc and the swarm that is under the eve. Not confirmed yet but I pulled out my keys and pulled a bunch of bees from the entry hole.

#128 ·
#129 ·
That is a stunningly appropriate chain of colors. Charlie see, white is DUMB.
Nice handholds.
However, I don't approve of making nucs in the bedroom. Charlies' wife kicked him out of the bedroom for that.

#132 ·
Sorry I'm late chiming in, but if it isn't too late, October 1 I had 27 live colonies, treatment free. I came out of last winter with 30 hives, but it has been a difficult year for a lot of reasons.
Regards,
Steven

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.