Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Are you ready for the Odfrank overwintering challenge?

123K views 416 replies 68 participants last post by  BayHighlandBees 
#1 ·
We've had to listen to Jolly Ollie brag all year about all the swarms he's caught so let's see how well he does at keeping them alive all winter.

We'll go by number of hives lost beginning October 1, 2012 thru March 1, 2013. Check in with the number of hives you have as of October 1st. if you want to participate so get done with all your combines and such before then.

Ollie may be old, bald and cheap but he's as honest as they come so we'll go by the honor system like we did the swarm challenge. Last I heard, Ollie had 60 hives. Is that right Ollie?

#2 ·
I'm glad you are starting this 10/1 because I already lost a few in August that I now won't have to count. The crawlers are out in full force so the fun begins. That is probably a good starting date because I caught a swarm in September last year.

#3 ·
Is there going to be a non-treatment and treatment category to make this more fair? Remember, I have been going bareback for years now.

#4 ·
I don't know what you mean by "bareback" and please don't tell us. Let's not get into treatment vs. non-treatment. Let each beekeeper stand on their own personal beekeeping beliefs and philosophy.

#6 ·
We don't have to debate treatment VS non-treatment, just declare what category we are in. That information might swing me back into treating or indicate that treating is not working for some. I quit using apistan because my bees still died. If I hear the people using some of the more recently available treatments are getting great over wintering success, I might want to start trying them. I am not a competitive person, I just want to learn what can improve my overwintering success and what exactly is killing my bees.

#10 ·
Alright fine, since the challenge is in your name. Everyone check in with your number of hives and your treatment category. No debate on what the definition of treatment free is. Just state if you treat or not according to your own personal definition that you keep to yourself.

#12 ·
All my swarms have been combined or are in double deeps now except for 3 which I'm going to winter in single deeps. So 3 is my number, let's do this.

Mite load is extreme this year and these 3 hive will go into winter through spring 'treatment free'. C'mon fall flow...

#15 ·
I am in with 3 swarms caught this year, I don't mind mentioning that I treat with OA vapor and just finished my 3 week fall treatment and the crawlers have disappeared.

#16 ·
Count me in!! Rolling in with 15 & hopefully rolling into the spring with 15. One (cutout) will be sitting on my first attempted use of a double screened bottom board to share the warmth. Are grease patties considered a treatment?, I would think not, but I will be putting those on in a few weeks.

#17 ·
I can split in October and maybe again in February how do I count that?
I guess that my "Winter" is only 6-8 weeks. What is winter defined as? Any week you can't wear shorts for 3 or more days?

Should we be discussing treatment free in this section of the forum?

#20 · (Edited)
The winter time frame for the purposes of this challenge is October 1, 2012 to March 1, 2013.

This is an overwintering thread, not a treatment thread. You can say you're treatment free but we shouldn't have discussions about it other than that. Please don't ask if any part of what you do in beekeeping is treatment free. There are other forums for that.

Thanks!

#30 ·
If you are a fool, sure...

I am the first to admit my losses and brag about my baithive catches....Losses:
2011-2012 - 80%
2010-2011 - 50%
2009-2010 - 80%

Lost 10 out of ten at one site in 2010-2011 all on small cell.

#23 ·
Just to be difficult, 4 hives, 2 nucs and trying to get 2 nucs QR for the winter (emerge Sept 1). So I could be 4, 6 or 8! how do you count? Treatment? not this season, yet, low counts.
Seriously 4 to count.

#26 ·
Just to be difficult, 4 hives, 2 nucs and trying to get 2 nucs QR for the winter (emerge Sept 1). So I could be 4, 6 or 8! how do you count? Treatment? not this season, yet, low counts. Seriously 4 to count.
Please get all your combines and splits done by October 1st. Olly has no mercy. A nuc is technically a colony to him so they will count as a hive. :eek:

#24 ·
Im in!

Just combined a nuc with a weaker hive so in my country yard I have 6 hives, two singles and 4 doubles. In town I have 2 doubles. I was going to make some nucs up but have decided not to.

So I have a total of 8 hives going into fall/winter and I am taking them in treatment free.

And I am also very happy right now that I get to stop feeding for a while as well as the tar weed is in full bloom and everywhere this year!! They have stopped sucking down the sugar syrup which is also a clear indication of a flow.

#27 ·
Charlie B, somehow I was thinking that you were only counting swarms:lookout :, so I will need to add 3 more hives, my total number of hives going into winter will be 6. :thumbsup:

#33 ·
Why is everybody getting in a month early? Charlies rules are the rules.
"The winter time frame for the purposes of this challenge is October 1, 2012 to March 1, 2013."
I will count my hives at the end of September and not include the dozen that die before then.
Where can I order 50 queens for mid September delivery?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.