Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Costco Honey

Default Re: Costco Honey

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    That just ain't right. That should never happen. Are you sure? What brands? I want to check them out the next time I am in the grocery store.
    This might be interesting: https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...f-packed-honey

It looks like the country of origin is not required if a USDA grade is not printed on the label...

" Under this rule, any honey that has an official U.S. grade mark must include in its label the country of origin in letters at least the same size and in close proximity to the grade mark. For example, if foreign or domestic honey were labeled U.S. Grade A, then it would have to identify its country or countries of origin. Conversely, if the honey is not officially grade labeled, the country of origin labeling is not necessary whether the honey is domestic or foreign."

What part of the Code of Federal Regulations don't you understand?
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

The pure sweet standard does require country of origin.

Ok
    Dean says that they only stated with absolute specificity in one document.
    Ramona says her cousin is mixed up in a scam to deceive US frozen vegetable customers.
    How can anyone argue with the logic? You’ve convinced me…..Costco must be trying to fool us.
    And on that note….I’m moving on.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Good for Costco for using only USA honey. Even better for us. Product of USA means it's domestic. Don't get confused.

The company article seems to avoid the simple statement that they will buy ONLY USA honey. It is a very thin line, only the few of us looking to see it will notice its absence. Perhaps they need to leave the door slightly open incase it becomes necessary to use some imported honey in the future. Maybe some bean counter needs to cover his tail, or they didn't understand how to say it. Whatever, just keep buying domestic honey. GO COSTCO

I found this in regard to the suggested deception of the wording "Product of the US"

This is a quote from "Complying with the Made in USA Standard" which can be read in it's entirety here.
    http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...e-usa-standard

Quote:
    A Made in USA claim can be express or implied.

Examples of express claims: Made in USA. "Our products are American-made." "USA."

In identifying implied claims, the Commission focuses on the overall impression of the advertising, label, or promotional material. Depending on the context, U.S. symbols or geographic references (for example, U.S. flags, outlines of U.S. maps, or references to U.S. locations of headquarters or factories) may convey a claim of U.S. origin either by themselves, or in conjunction with other phrases or images.

Example: A company promotes its product in an ad that features a manager describing the "true American quality" of the work produced at the company’s American factory. Although there is no express representation that the company’s product is made in the U.S., the overall — or net — impression the ad is likely to convey to consumers is that the product is of U.S. origin.
    Brand names and trademarks

Ordinarily, the Commission will not consider a manufacturer or marketer’s use of an American brand name or trademark by itself as a U.S. origin claim. Similarly, the Commission is not likely to interpret the mere listing of a company’s U.S. address on a package label in a non-prominent way as a claim of U.S. origin.

Example: A product is manufactured abroad by a well-known U.S. company. The fact that the company is headquartered in the U.S. also is widely known. Company pamphlets for its foreign-made product prominently feature its brand name. Assuming that the brand name does not specifically denote U.S. origin (that is, the brand name is not "Made in America, Inc."), using the brand name by itself does not constitute a claim of U.S. origin.
    Representations about entire product lines

Manufacturers and marketers should not indicate, either expressly or implicitly, that a whole product line is of U.S. origin ("Our products are made in USA") when only some products in the product line are made in the U.S. according to the "all or virtually all" standard.
    Does the FTC pre-approve Made in USA claims?

The Commission does not pre-approve advertising or labeling claims. A company doesn’t need approval from the Commission before making a Made in USA claim. As with most other advertising claims, a manufacturer or marketer may make any claim as long as it is truthful and substantiated.
    End Quote:

First this disproves the assumption that any other wording or even implied message other than the exact words Made in the USA are not enforceable.

It seems to me that the wording used by Costco is clearly a claim that the product is made in the USA. If so I am fairly certain this will come to the attention of the Federal Trade Commission. For those that do not think so, perhaps you should take it upon yourselves to bring it to their attention. The Commission has the power to bring law enforcement actions against false or misleading claims that a product is of U.S. origin.

Notice the semi quote in bold says US Origin which significantly broadens the range of words or phrases that it can regulate. All the way up to determining a product is in violation for no more than what it implies.

I really don't think Costco and their teams of lawyers are going to be off guard on this one.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I shop at Costco. And that would surprise most that know me because I am a huge advocate for "buy locally". I realize that where WalMart and Sam's Club have absolutely executed so many of the little mom and pop shops in rural communities, Costco tends to take a slightly higher line by actually offering awesome products that you can't find elsewhere. Where Sam's will just offer you an incredible price on bootleg fruit loops, Costco will offer an organic cereal product that you won't find anywhere else at a great price. My wife has bought the Costco honey before I got into beekeeping and it was pretty good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123