Default Latest date to do a cutout in SF Bay Area

Alright Bay Area "pest bee" folks, I have the "opportunity" to do a cutout in Marin and was wondering if I can wait till the first week of October to do it due to time constraints?

I'll be asking this at the Marin Beekeepers meeting next week also, but I figured I'd ask you knowledgeable bee experts too!

TIA!
    Brian

Default Re: Latest date to do a cutout in SF Bay Area

With nectar and pollen available almost year-'round, and lows rarely below freezing, I'd think that any warm day would be suitable for doing a cut-out. Especially if the bees are busy foraging during the cut-out.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

You can do a cutout any time you wish, anywhere you wish. The questions you need to ask are,

1. If I don't get the queen, can I still get one to put with them.

2. Can I feed them enough to get them through the winter, if not, can I give them capped honey from another hive to get them through.

3. Can I get enough bees, to sustain the colony, and keep the hive warm during the Winter.

If you can answer yes, to those questions, then you can do the cutout and expect success. If not, wait until Spring.

cchoganjr

Year round if you are framing the brood and some resources. Feed. And Cleo's point about the queen, have a hive ready to merge them with if they end up q'less....

Ask about fall queen availability when you go to the Marin meeting.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I have enough hives that I can combine the newly cut out bees with one or two of my hives. I just make sure to add their stores accordingly.
    This is only if they are not able to make it on their own. This time of the year however, they should have close to everything they need.
    If this is your first one, take your time, proceede calmly and find the queen. It's not uncommon for a cut out to last 3 -4 hours.

AND take pics!

As long as you're willing to feed you can do it any month with nice weather.
    My bees raised a queen last December.
    Dan

Thank you all! I'll be sure to ask about queen availability next week at the meeting... and I'll be sure to post pics when the cutout happens!

Dan, a queen in December? I know in Marin the drones are getting booted in the fall, but I guess not ALL of them are getting kicked

Brian
    Brian