Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wax Moth Control?

To control wax moths in your honey bee hive supers, you can either exposé them to very cold temperatures or chemically treat them to kill the wax moths.
    http://www.dqpestcontrol.com

Hello All ~ I returned home after my out-of-state work stint to find one hive/colony completely consumed with wax moth. The bees were gone, but moths, larvae, webbing, feces and destroyed comb were everywhere! Total hive destruction. So, what do I do at this point? I plan to pressure wash all boxes and frames, dry, freeze, then store til spring. Any suggestions?
    My other hive, 10 feet away, is untouched. As a newbie to this hobby, I have never experienced this issue before. I need advice on safe guarding my remaining hive, treating this menace, and any thoughts that may help in the future. Thanks!
    Last edited by Zeo; 09-27-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: wasn't ready to post yet

Quote Originally Posted by Zeo View Post
    Hello All ~ I returned home after my out-of-state work stint to find one hive/colony completely consumed with wax moth. The bees were gone, but moths, larvae, webbing, feces and destroyed comb were everywhere! Total hive destruction. So, what do I do at this point? I plan to pressure wash all boxes and frames, dry, freeze, then store til spring. Any suggestions?
    My other hive, 10 feet away, is untouched. As a newbie to this hobby, I have never experienced this issue before. I need advice on safe guarding my remaining hive, treating this menace, and any thoughts that may help in the future. Thanks!
    I am in the same boat! I look forward to hearing the response to this problem. My hive is a total loss also! I sure wish I did not have to learn everything the hard way!

Michele

Zeo and Hoover67, you do realize that you can read all the posts in this thread, from the beginning, right? And that there are many other threads that discuss this very same issue. Some are also mentioned earlier in this thread.

My favorite thread on this subject, is here.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Like Joseph said above. The way i keep wax moth in check, is keep hives strong,don't give them more room(supers) than they can protect. When using BT make sure after you spray them, that they are completely dry(the comb) before you store them.If you want to see how fast wax moth can start to take over, let your honey supers (that you just robbed) set for three days before you extract them. Not a pretty sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Zeo and Hoover67, you do realize that you can read all the posts in this thread, from the beginning, right? And that there are many other threads that discuss this very same issue. Some are also mentioned earlier in this thread.

My favorite thread on this subject, is here.
    I am sorry. Yes I have read the previous comments. My question is: What do I do to the frames and hive bodies that have already been infested? There is no wax now. Do I just scrape the frames and hives and then store them? Do I need the crystals now that there is no wax. Should I do anything like scrub them with something?

I picked up from reading the previous posts what to do to prevent future problems.

Michele

Michele, if i may. I would check the frames for weakness ( they can sometimes ruin them). You can just scrape them and let the bees clean them up later. I like to scrape them the best i can and then mix a cap of bleach in a gal. of water, and put it in a spray bottle and spray the frames and inside the hive body. Then let them dry good before you store them.

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbeefarm View Post
    Michele, if i may. I would check the frames for weakness ( they can sometimes ruin them). You can just scrape them and let the bees clean them up later. I like to scrape them the best i can and then mix a cap of bleach in a gal. of water, and put it in a spray bottle and spray the frames and inside the hive body. Then let them dry good before you store them.
    Great! That is exactly what I needed to know!
    Thanks!

The aftermath of destroyed combs, by wax moth larvae, can be managed in many different ways. The most common two ways, in my experience are:
    1) Cut and scrape the beeswax from the frames, scrape off the mess from plastic foundation, insert new beeswax foundation (if you use it). Give back to the bees, as appropriate.
    2) Give the wax moth spoiled combs/frames, back to strong colonies, especially during a strong flow, they can and do clean the mess and repair the combs.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I got some Herbal Moth Repel packs from Mockingbird Meadows I'm going to try this year. Dawn says it's all nautral, no chemicals and will keep the moths out. I planning on treating some frames with BT and placing the stacks in the same area to see which works best. I like the herbal approach..if it works.

http://www.mockingbirdmeadows.com/pr...ping-supplies/

Quote Originally Posted by Keth Comollo View Post
    Stack em outside after the first frost. A Vermont winter will get 'em all!
    Nature's freezer definitely will work. Down my way I take all drawn frames and freeze them for a day or two before storing to kill off any pests that may be hiding, such as WM or SHB eggs.

superstorage 013.jpg

How we started storing supers this year, chemical free.

Hi,Does freezing the frames and putting them in plastic bags keep moths out or will they chew though plastic ?
    Before man took over bees there was nature,it did a better job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12