Question Glass for wax melter

Does anyone have a recommendation as to the type of glass to be used in the solar wax melter?

Also, does it have to be double pane glass?

And, if it is to be double pane glass, do you have to glaze it in, or is the groove in the wood sufficient?

Thanks!

Default Re: Glass for wax melter

I used a pane of glass no glazing just placed on top of the hive body i was using as a melter, with a metal pan it gets hot enough to melt a lot of wax quickly. I broke the glass and switched to plexi-glass and that works fine as well.

I use an old refrigerator box with a stainless pan in it, I use plexi-glass in a cutout in the door, it works fine!

double post

Any glass will work. Free is best.

I sealed mine with silicone to keep rain out.

Mine is 20-25 years old.

My Solar Wax Melter.jpg

cchoganjr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 08-29-2012 at 02:31 PM.

I used a piece of Lexan I purchased at Home Depot for $13 on my solar wax melter i made out of a cheap styrofoam cooler. It worked great. Total cost for the melter was under $20 and It only took about 1 hour to make, & I have enough Lexan left over to make another melter.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

I should have talked to you before I launched into making mine. Although I have used a lot of materials I had on hand, it was way more complicated than yours. I pretty much revised the one they have on this site to suit my needs. It will last for many years, but it took a LOT of man hours to complete.
    Last edited by A_Bee_Guy; 08-29-2012 at 11:24 AM.

I've used crummy (free) single pane for initial models, and they seem to crack after a season or two from the thermal stress. A couple years ago I splurged $10 for a double-pane tempered glass pane from ReSource (construciton material recycling place and it's been great. Long story short: anything will work pretty well, good glass will last longer and double-panes just hold heat better.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO