Hybrid View

Default Source of Treatment Free bees in Mississippi?

I am looking for a source of treatment free bees in Mississippi. I have not kept bees in a long time and am beginning to learn about the new diseases that were not a factor back then! I am in school at Starkville MS and have a home on the MS coast. Since I am starting from scratch, I intend to use 8 frame mediums and small comb foundation in the brood section. I plan to build a 5 or 6 frame observation hive and probably one other hive initially. I have been influenced by Michael Bush recommendations for new beekeepers on his website. It just makes sense to start out with locally adapted bees and regress them if this had not already been done. Any help is appreciated.

TooFarGone

Default Re: Source of Treatment Free bees in Mississippi?

Catch swarms do cutouts if that is possible. I kept bees in the early 70's to the early 80's. Got back in 7-8 years ago went foundationless per Michael Bush and grew from 1 swarm 1st year to 27 now .

Hey TooFar, I live in Starkville. PM me for a chat. I know someone that supplies bees, and as far as I know they are treatment free. I get all my bees from him, and I don't use chemicals in my hives. No problems so far. Look forward to chatting with ya. Ken, Class of 89, Mississippi State University.

Did you try Broke-T on this website? He had some queen for sale earlier. He might sell hive too...I don't know, but wouldn't to ask.
    Plant Hardiness Zone 6B, 5300 ft., Bee Zone A/B, Proverbs 24:13
    https://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/2RBeeFarm

Ken, PM sent, Thanks!

bhfury, I will add Broke-T to my contact list and contact them if the local Starkville source doesnt pan out. Thanks!

Wadehump, I would like to capture swarms as available, but is is getting pretty late for them. My current beekeeping interest was rekindled after a staff member at school requested a beekeeper for a swarm last month. I didn't find out about it until a week later. I still don't have the stuff to handle them yet..

Thanks,
    Tim

Tim, I will have 5 frame nucs next spring. Mediums wont be a problem either. Its a little late to try to do anything this fall. They are all treatment free VSH bees. They are not small cell, I use Pierco plastic foundation which is 5.1 cell size I belive wich is between small cell and large cell.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Broke-T View Post
    ...5.1 cell size I belive wich is between small cell and large cell.
    Can somebody tell me where this comes from? I've been hearing this for years, who is pushing this idea?
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Solomon, I was wrong, its 5.2 acording to Michael Bush.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnaturalcell.htm

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain