Default First wax moth found

I opened up an empty top bar hive I've had in someone's yard awaiting a swarm that never came this year. I've checked all the combs in it every few weeks to make sure there were no pests making the hive their home. Today I found an adult wax moth and four combs that each had a small cluster of cells with eggs in it. I also found 2 very young wax moth larvae walking around. I cut those four combs off the top bars and brought them home to melt down. I also flicked the adult moth out of the hive and screened the entrance. I carefully checked each comb and found eggs on only those four.

My question is, is there any way to prevent an infestation and destruction of this hive? It starved out last winter and is full of beautiful straight comb that would make a great home for another colony next spring. The hive is not easy to move and I'd like to keep it in its current spot. Our winters are long and very cold, so if I can keep it from being overrun until the first snow, I should be in the clear, right? I have never treated any of my hives with anything, and I'd like to keep it that way. Will screening the entrance be enough to keep moths out? There is no way even a bee could get into that hive right now. What do you suggest?
    If I'm neither sanguine, phlegmatic, choleric, nor melancholy, does that mean I'm out of humour?

Default Re: First wax moth found

freeze the affected comb,, feed pollen and sugar,, get the hive strong, let them defend themselves

An empty hive with drawn comb is heaven for the wax moth.
    Lee Burough
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

What's a good way to store comb then? I don't have a freezer to keep anything in, right now it's just sitting in my garage. I have a couple hundred empty frames from nucs that didn't make it just sitting in my garage.

Default Re: BT

The best way to store comb I have found is by leaving it on the hive over winter. Any strong hive will be able to keep empty comb free of moths and be able to repair any damage that may occur.

Bees in the wild live with the same comb year 'round, it is certainly an acceptable practice for kept bees as well.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    The best way to store comb I have found is by leaving it on the hive over winter. Any strong hive will be able to keep empty comb free of moths and be able to repair any damage that may occur....
    His OP referenced an empty hive.
    Lee Burough

Moon is not the OP.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    Moon is not the OP.
    Lee Burough

This is a BEE-LESS top bar hive full of comb from a dead colony that has been sitting at a neighbor's house awaiting a swarm. No swarms this year. I knew it might attract wax moths, which is why I checked this empty hive frequently.

Now that the moths found it, I'd like to know how I can preserve the comb without moving the hive or using any chemicals in it. I removed all the combs with moth eggs and larvae on them, but does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to keep this comb moth-free until winter sets in?
    If I'm neither sanguine, phlegmatic, choleric, nor melancholy, does that mean I'm out of humour?

Sorry
    Last edited by sfisher; 08-30-2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Stupidity
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks