Default Apigard and fall feeding?

Is it okay to treat with Apigard for Varroa while I am doing my Fall feeding? My honey supers will be off and I will only have the two deeps on the hives.

Also, is it okay to add and/or suggested to add honey-b-healthy to my fall syrup? If HBH is okay to add, is it okay to add fumagilin to the mixture as well to prevent nosema? Or is that too much to "pump" into the little bees? Thanks, juzzerbee

Default Re: Apigard and fall feeding?

Another beekeeper in my area treated with apigard this weekend when we removed his honey supers. He told me now would be an ok time to add fumagilin. No clue about honey b healthy.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

You may want to read this thread.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...iguard+robbing
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

For fall feeding you could get pollen patties with HBH in it from Dadant in Watertown. I also picked up on this site to add lemon juice to you 2 to 1 sugar water to lower the P.H. level, to prevent nosema , so I stopped useing fumagilin for three years now.an have'nt had a problem. I also use Apigard with good success.

EPA or has stopped shipments of Apiguard until further notice... Can't get any from Dadant at the moment.
    Facebook

Any idea why? I was at Dadant today and saw that is was being sold in the store. Maybe something with shipping? Great, I just placed my first ever packet of Apigard on my hive just today!!!! juzzerbee

I use and am an advocate of Apigard. Here when we treat we are in a dearth, and since Apigard does interupt brood production I feed the week before, in the middle of and after treatments. I try to only give them what they can cleanup in 2-3 days because it appears to me that if it stays exposed to the treatment vapors too long they sometimes will refuse it.
    I will not say what I think of the EPA.

The 3 kilo tub of the Apiguard gel says its out of stock but epa is blocking the shipment of it and I don't know why.
    Facebook

Question, how much lemon juice do you use per gallon of 2:1 feed? Thanks for the advise -- it sounds like a good way to go--the less chemicals the better.

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    epa is blocking the shipment of it and I don't know why.
    Is this just an internet rumor or do you have a link to a reputable source that EPA is blocking Apiguard shipments?
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Yeah my girlfriend called to back order some for me and they told her sales had been halted of that product. Another beekeeper in my area tried to order some and he said it was epa doing the blocking.
    Facebook

Okay. Just to make sure this wasn't some internet rumor I contacted Vita, the manufacturer of Apiguard regarding Dadant's inability to fill orders.

Here is the letter I received in returned . . . . .

Dear Keth,

Thank you for the enquiry. To be clear: the EPA has not and is not blocking Apiguard shipments. We have experienced some problems, however, that have resulted in delayed deliveries to Dadant. It appears that having labels approved by the EPA in Washington in not a guarantee that individual port of entry inspection agents cannot unilaterally move the goalposts.

We are doing everything we can to get product to Dadant as fast as we possibly can, but it is all subject to the whims of the EPA and customs agents on the ground.

We recently sent some seven pallets by air to try to alleviate the situation but I apologise if phenomenal demand means this supply has already been exhausted.

We have a full container on the water and another held up at Norfolk/St. Louis (for X-ray screening in case of WMD, would you believe!). Once this is released it will be inspected by the EPA which should happen this week and will then, finally, get through to Dadant.

We had intensive meetings with the EPA last month and we hope we are making progress to solving this issue and getting Apiguard flowing freely into the US again.

I apologise for the delay you are experiencing, please be assured that we are doing everything we can to get Apiguard to Dadant and on to beekeepers that desperately need it.

Kind regards,
    Sebastian

Sebastian Owen

Commercial Development Manager | Vita (Europe) Ltd

Vita House, London St., Basingstoke, Hants, RG21 7PG, UK
    USDA Zone 5A

So, the EPA is not blocking Apiguard and the shortfall in inventory only has to do with one shipment that went awry and Vita, the manufacturer of Apiguard, is working to correct their shortfall with Dadant proactively. Another internet rumor busted.
    USDA Zone 5A

"We are doing everything we can to get product to Dadant as fast as we possibly can, but it is all subject to the whims of the EPA and customs agents on the ground."
    "We had intensive meetings with the EPA last month and we hope we are making progress to solving this issue and getting Apiguard flowing freely into the US again."

So the EPA has a big part in all this despite their claims to the contrary. Whatever, better you did the legwork than me, I'll buy it when it gets here.
    Facebook