Question How to store frames outside

I have been storing my frames in my supers outside and am finding piles of little black eggs inside after a couple of weeks. I don't have room in my shed to keep them, and I have found that even keeping them in there doesn't eliminate the problem.

So, my question is: How do you store your used frames (that have been cleaned up very well by washing with a bleach solution) outside without bugs getting into them?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: How to store frames outside

What you see may not be eggs! You may already have wax worms (moth larvae).
    I have been successful storing frames after spraying with BT (BACTILLUS THURINGIENSIS VAR AIZAWAI) I purchased it on-line through Amazon.com it is labeled Xentari. You may be able to find it through an organic gardening store if there is one in your area. After you wash the frames you just mix up a batch of this and spray the frames down before stacking the boxes in and alternating fashion, this lets in more light and the moths do not like light.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

You could throw'em in the dirt and the bees won't care
    They'll clean them regardless (is that the CORRECT usage, Mark? )in the spring
    Propolis is a well known antiseptic
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Ok, so you stack the boxes so as to let light in, but does it matter if things get wet? Or, should I throw a tarp over it?

Does it give you the proper mixing ratio on the Xentari? Is this stuff very expensive?

Thanks!

I recommend that you do not let you equipment get too wet. I keep my boxes in a shed with out walls if that makes sense, it is a pole building with only a roof. I would think that covering them with a tarp would be similar to storing them in the dark. Although, thinking while typing... once you treat with the BT you probably do not have to worry about the amount of light it is just an extra measure. I use 1Tablespoon powder per 51 oz of water in a 1g sprayer. It easily covers four medium supers. The application dosing paperwork that comes with the product is in lbs/acre. I paid about $30/lb
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

Default Where to buy Xentari BT

Just bought some Xentari BT. Amazon is not presently selling it, so I bought it here. BTW, it for those interested, it cost $30 for 1 lb. and $13 for S/H - the better part of $43. The good news is that I shouldn't have to buy anymore for a long time.

Thanks for the help. I do appreciate it!

Default Re: Where to buy Xentari BT

Is BT used both for brood and honey comb?

I use it on both and I haven't had any concerns.

ccar2000,
    Thanks for the info. How long have you used it and does any one else out there have any concerns? Here in houston the pests are killing me. I put supers back on hives after extraction to keep moths out and now shb is about to take over, heat and dry weather and dirth have queens shutting down and populations are in decline.

Quote Originally Posted by ccar2000 View Post
    What you see may not be eggs! You may already have wax worms (moth larvae).
    I have been successful storing frames after spraying with BT (BACTILLUS THURINGIENSIS VAR AIZAWAI) I purchased it on-line through Amazon.com it is labeled Xentari. You may be able to find it through an organic gardening store if there is one in your area. After you wash the frames you just mix up a batch of this and spray the frames down before stacking the boxes in and alternating fashion, this lets in more light and the moths do not like light.
    yes be careful as there is 2 kinds of BT the one here ( BACTILLUS THURINGIENSIS VAR AIZAWAI )is the one you want the other you DO NOT WANT ,, watch the last word in the name ( AIZAWAI ,, you want this ) the other one you do not want to use

A girl in our club treats with bt, lets them dry in the light then seals in garbage bags.