Default Where to place formic acid pads in TB?

I have some new formic pads that seemingly just entered the market, basically pads wrapped in paper that you leave right inside the hive for 7 days- but can leave in indefinitely as after 7 days they aren't viable.
    For langs you place two pads lying flat, above the frames of the bottom brood box. Doesn't matter how many boxes above- if any. 2 per hive- above bottom box.

Now with the TB, there is nowhere to place above of course. And air circulation isn't a good in the TB, with no big bottom entry and they have basically filled all spaces between bars with propolis.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Default Re: Where to place formic acid pads in TB?

Doesn't treatment free and topbar hives go hand in hand? Aren't you dragging the chemical blasemy of commercial beekeeping into the world of natural beekeeping?

Very possibly. As a lang beekeeper for many years I am hesitant to just stand back and wait for a miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtslinger2 View Post
    I have some new formic pads that seemingly just entered the market, basically pads wrapped in paper that you leave right inside the hive for 7 days- but can leave in indefinitely as after 7 days they aren't viable.
    For langs you place two pads lying flat, above the frames of the bottom brood box. Doesn't matter how many boxes above- if any. 2 per hive- above bottom box.

Now with the TB, there is nowhere to place above of course. And air circulation isn't a good in the TB, with no big bottom entry and they have basically filled all spaces between bars with propolis.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    Where did you find these pads? Seems to me that you could just place them on the bottom board or wire of the top bar hive. Again, who sells them?

hes talking about Mite away quick strips - MAQS - been on the market in the US for a year or two now. For TBH, if you are going to use MAQS, try removing a bar or two and respacing the bars with comb just enough to allow vapors to get down into the TBH - its only 7 days and you may have to scrape of some propolis to slide everything back together, but thats your best bet as Formic acid vapor is heavy, so if you place on bottom board, vapors will just fall and you will get less efficacy on the product.

Sorry, I was thinking that you were talking about oxalic acid, not formic acid.
    Vaporizer for Oxalic Acid from Heilyser Technology Sidney, BC - Canada

I wrote to the Heilyser Tech … http://www.members.shaw.ca/orioleln/vaporizer.html … and asked them to send me the dimensions of the JB 200 vaporizer , length, width, and height, and any other information that is relevant to the size of entrance it might fit into.

Here are the dimensions of the JB200 that they sent me:

Length = 3 with handle 11 inches / 9cm – 30 cm
    Width = 2 inch / 6 cm
    Height = inch / 1.3 cm