Default Hive observation question

We are in drought and my bees aren't doing well so I've been feeding lots of sugar syrup, and I'm planning on adding pollen patties next week when I can get some. I would like to know how they're doing in there, but I don't want to set off robbing since all my bees are way short on stores and I'm pretty slow at manipulating the hive. So I'm trying to figure out what I can just by watching them go in and out.

Not seeing a lot of pollen, still. In five minutes, I saw two bees with their pollen baskets full. But I also saw some drones going into the hive. I know they get kicked out in the winter, but does that mean anything at any other time of the year? I guess I'm wondering if they kick drones out in drought when there isn't enough to eat and if having drones means they at least have enough for the short term, even if they don't have enough for winter?

Thanks. As you can tell, I'm pretty new to this. This is my second attempt at bees. Last year they took care of themselves, but didn't make it through winter. This year, I'm trying to do what I can to support them but I'm fighting a pretty nasty drought, too.

Default Re: Hive observation question

How many hives? Inside feeders or entrance feeders?

If you have a chicken watering can, put small stones in the bottom outside ring. then I suggest hanging. I will post a picture of mine. When the bees are making a mad dash to eat, check your hives. "Caution!!!" Mine seem to be hot right now, even ones with good queens. I had to put on my suit to get my truck away form the feeder.

Default Re: Hive observation question

I have two hives. I've been putting out quart chicken waterers out front full of little yellow blocks. Today they have more of a bucket with a ton of flowers floating on top just because my children picked a bunch of wildflowers for them so I thought they'd like their bouquet more if it was given to them in syrup.

I was wondering if it would be safe to go in because they are behaving more like normal bees now that they are in a frenzy for the syrup. In that they pretty much ignore me when I walk near the hives or sit and watch them. Last week, I was getting head butted and having my hair pulled 100 feet away. That never concerns me when I'm near the hive entrance, but they used to let me at least walk up to the hive first. Right now, though, they don't seem to care that I'm there.

But since I have two hives next to each other, I didn't want to set off robbing with the open comb. Especially since my plans for what to do with the hives in the short term won't really change. I know things are bad from my peek last week and that they are going to need a lot of help. I just want to know if it has gotten better since giving them syrup and since the rain seems to have brought out so many flowers.