Default Screened bottom boards and hurricanes- do they mix?

This is my first post on this forum. I am preparing to get back into (hobby) beekeeping this next spring after 35 year hiatus. My home is on the Mississippi gulf coast. As I read about all the pests that were not a problem the last time I kept bees, there is a lot of talk about screened bottom boards. I envision that the 140 mph winds would create quite a bit of turbulence within the hive that could damage things. What are your experiences with screened bottom boards in hurricanes?

Default Re: Screened bottom boards and hurricanes- do they mix?

Get one that uses the plastic insert for Varroa counts and just put it in during evacuation timeline. Same issue in Houston. I went with the Country Rubes SBB, but Brushy Mountain also do that. Not sure on others, just search for IPM on the vendor sites. IPM (Integrated Pest Management).
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 08-26-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: UNQuote
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Default Re: Screened bottom boards and hurricanes- do they mix?

I just slip in a 1/2" piece of plywood to prevent drafts on really windy days. You could screw in a piece of ply temporarily to secure it during a hurricane or board it up in the front depending on the type of hive stand you have.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org