Default Wanting to stay with standard hives size.

Back in July when I purchased my working hives, one of them was two medium boxes and the other was a deep and medium. I have added boxes to both hives and they are doing well. My question is, how do you move bees from say a medium box to a deep? or vice versa.
    I like the idea of the bees having those bigger boxes for brood and food storage as opposed to the mediums. And I know it doesn't matter but like the uniform look . Do the bees really care ?

Default Re: Wanting to stay with standard hives size.

I've not done it yet, but if I had to I'd be putting medium frames in the deep box either way. If converting from medium to deep it would be simple. You could even leave the medium frames in the deep. they'd just build three inches of comb on the bottom of the medium eventually I'm sure.

I run all mediums. Started that way. Yet next year toying with deep frames is on the todo list. They cost the same as mediums and hold three inches more comb so could run all deeps since I run narrow hives anyway.

If you have a deep box to convert to medium just put empty mediums in between the deeps until they get drawn. Chop off whatever excess they build on the bottom of the mediums. Then remove the other deeps.

Those are the only ways that make good sense to me unless you do a 'cutout' to convert from deep to medium.
    Don't laugh it's paid for. -- Manure draws more flies than honey.

The bees don't care.

I have five hives all double deeps, run shallow supers for crush and strain harvest and use plastic miller style top feeders in shallow sections. This is the most I desire to keep. My harvests don't make headlines, I don't sell and I'd save money if I purchased the local honey I actually use in my tea.

If I were to start again from scratch and didn't consider cost, I'd go all mediums. I believe three mediums are equal to two deeps. For me mediums would be less to lift, add versatility, make splits easier and keep equipment uniform. What's keeping me in the double deeps is current gear and cost. Not much difference between mediums and deeps for sections and frames, but you need more mediums than deeps for equivalent space. That make the total hive cost more.

I suggest you work the gear you have, paint to suit (the world won't know the difference at twenty paces) and grow from there.

get your new box and frames place it as they out grow your hive and let them draw it out. then place it on the bottom shake all the bees into it and put on a queen excluder and place the other boxes on top and wait for all the brood to finish in the upper boxes and then remove them or if you are keeping them in the hive remove the QE.

I have an extra complete setup (deep and medium) so maybe I will leave things as they are for the time being and use my extras for expansion, or for a split when it becomes necessary. My plan is to have no more than 5 hives. I am not planning on selling honey. Mostly going to give it as gifts. My better half is wanting to make lip balm and candles with the wax.
    Just seemed to me bigger is better when it comes to storage.

The simplest way I have found and the least wasteful of the bees time and resourse is putting two medium boxes on a bottom board. Start putting deep frames in to the center of the brood nest and as medium frames gett closer to the outside, they will be brood free and you can remove and extract them and put in more deep frames. When all the medium frames have been replaced, transfer the ten deeps to a deep box on a bottom board and your done. reverse the process with medium frames for switching the other way. If you have no fall flow, I would sure be feeding them while you are busy rearranging deck chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    The simplest way I have found and the least wasteful of the bees time and resourse is putting two medium boxes on a bottom board. Start putting deep frames in to the center of the brood nest and as medium frames gett closer to the outside, they will be brood free and you can remove and extract them and put in more deep frames. When all the medium frames have been replaced, transfer the ten deeps to a deep box on a bottom board and your done. reverse the process with medium frames for switching the other way. If you have no fall flow, I would sure be feeding them while you are busy rearranging deck chairs.
    I am not sure I want to do it this time of year. Goldenrod hasn't started blooming yet but will be soon and I don't want to take a chance on goofing something up so late in the year. I will most likely wait till spring.
    I am feeding them, they take 1/2 gallon of 1:1 syrup a day.

Put whichever size box you want to end up in on top. In the spring, chances are, they will have moved up into that box and you can remove the other. At least, that's how it worked for me, moving from deeps to mediums (glad I did).
    In KY, you probably have enough time left this year for them to rearrange as needed.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

I have looked at this discussion several times and nearly went to 8 frame med. supers only. Then I looked at what I had already invested in 10 frame & deeps. I have decided to build one more 10 frame hive with 2 deeps and 2 med. supers. If I expand more I may build one 8 frame med. super only hive. That way I minimize not using my 10 frame box set ups.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Perhaps putting a deep on your 2 mediums, the bees will migrate up over winter, leaving you with empty or mostly empty comb in the medium.
    I'd do the same with the other - med. on bottom