Default Getting weak hive ready for winter

Late June I caught a swarm. There was something up with the queen. She did not lay, so I replaced her.

The new queen is doing OK. I don't see lots of population growth, but I see some. Right now the colony is 1 1/2 mediums big.

In order for the hive to have a fighting chance for winter. When shall is start feed? Do it now to get the colony bigger quick, or wait till later and feed it trough winter?

I live in North California. Urban Environment.

Thank you

Default Re: Getting weak hive ready for winter

If there is no flow, feed. I have been feeding with inside feeders. Last week I started to use a chick watery. Yesterday the bees took one and a half gallon. I have two week hives and one that is doing well and has a huge population.

Feed.

Feed it now to get the population up, and feed it through the winter.
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

I have a differing opinion than some. Feed now to get them built up by end of October. Stop feeding by end of October. Uncured syrup in the hive going into winter is asking for trouble.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

My hives at home are down to three. They are now taking 3 gallons of 1 to 1 syrup. I will increase the ratio to make it 3 to 1, after ready more on here.
    Mine are very Hot right now.