Hybrid View

Default Ready for winter... ready for the almonds?

For the next two months, how beekeepers feeds & treats there bees will be the out come of a great almond season or a disaster almond season. Good luck to all that pollinate almonds.
    Last edited by Keith Jarrett; 08-24-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Default Re: Ready for winter... ready for the almonds?

I called my grower of 8 years a few weeks back and encouraged him to talk to his buddies about lining up bees early.
    With the news that I am hearing out of Kansas and Minnesota and elsewhere; I am predicting a HUGE shortage of bees for almonds in 2013.
    Several of my buddies across our great nation bragging about fishing, boating, camping...
    Here is what I have enjoyed doing over the last month: Queen-checking, medicating, then medicating again....
    And now feeding and monitoring. Random testing and evaluation.
    I'm with Keith. This is a year that you either DO YOUR JOB as a beekeeper, or you will have lotts and lots of free time next spring to go fishing. :P
    It's all about personal responsibility. We need to take that seriously.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Two very good posts

Ive heard of a couple big beekeepers that have lost quite a large number of bees , you guys might be on to something.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

I am curious what they attribute the losses to? Drought?
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Keith's post is on the mark and a pretty good example of why some operations are plagued with all kinds of mysterious bee problems while others manage to have great looking hives in the very early spring. Operations that are committed to honey production are in a fundamentally different situation, they are mostly just scrambling to get their honey crops off and mite treatments on so that they can begin to assess the condition of their bees after a hot dry summer. Bee shortage in the almonds in 2013? I'll take a WAG and say probably a bit shorter than last year with more stressed bees come off of poor late summer and fall flows in drought stressed areas. I expected to be seeing and hearing about more varroa problems this year because of the earlier season but I am not sure that is materializing based on my recent conversation with a leading bee inspector. Maybe it's the heat, maybe it's better management, maybe it's that bees are adapting better or maybe it's still too early to have any idea how colonies will look two months from now not say six months.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    For the next two months, how beekeepers feeds & treats there bees will be the out come of a great almond season or a disaster almond season. Good luck to all that pollinate almonds.
    This thread was more intended to spur thoughts about the timing, management decisions & input costs and getting bees ready for almond pollination than it was about the price.
    But, as we know here on beesource.... let'ter-er rip.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements