Thread: wax moths

Default wax moths

Apparently I had a queen fail in one of my hives, and when I checked it for the first time in a month or two it had more wax moth grubs than I thought there could ever be in one hive. 1st hive that I've lost.

Default Re: wax moths

It's awful. I feel for you, as I lost one earlier this year too.

Cleaned out one like that today. Made the chickens happy though. I had a feeling about that hive. Never ignore that feeling.
    since '09-25H-T-Z6b

+1
    I will never take them for granted again. They went through a two story (deeps) and a medium that I thought I had stored properly.
    In my case the mockingbirds helped clean them.
    PITA

Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I just had the same thing happen. I was told to burn the hive. Is there a way to clean the woodenware and reuse? I would rather not waste the hive. Thanks

Same thing here, was my strongest hive
    I just rinsed off as much gook as I could, froze the frames for 24 hrs, and let the girls clean up the rest. My other mistake was putting them over a partially filled honey super, and all the crap from the wax moths that they were cleaning ended up in the honey
    Lessns learned: check on hives very two weeks, always keep honey supers on top

Yes, do not burn your equipment! You can remove the wax & foundation from your frame and either freeze them about 24-48 hours or use a heat gun and heat around the inside edges/grooves of the frame to kill the eggs. Or just leave them outside in the heat and sunshine and the bees and ants will clean them up nicely. I'm impressed with the great job nature does to make them look new. The bees will even remove propolis.
    Wax moth have been bad here this year. I'm going to make some traps and hang in nearby trees. Kind of like catching all those Japanese beetles...