Default Looking for pollen patties, suggestions?

My bees have not done well getting through this drought and they have essentially nothing at all in all their beautiful comb. I'm feeding them as much sugar syrup as they'll take and would like to give them some pollen patties while I hope that this rain brings something with pollen before winter.

Everything I've read says it is best to feed patties that have some real pollen in it but I can't find anyone who actually sells it? I am going to put substitute in for the moment, but does anyone know where to find pollen patties with pollen in them? Thanks!

Default Re: Looking for pollen patties, suggestions?

I believe that the very first patties I used several years ago were "Global Patties".

http://www.globalpatties.com/index.htm

I don't believe anything used since then warranted the additional expense or labor....
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Global Patties
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 08-24-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Thank you! They don't have an online ordering system, do they? I sent them an email, but just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something!

Since you mentioned Global Patties, and I didn't know there were any out there with real pollen either...

When would you use 4% vs. 15% pollen patties?

I just bought some brood builder patties, but there is no mention of pollen.

I have 2 weak hives started from nucs in May. I want to prepare them for winter. I see bees laden with pollen, so I may be ok, but your info is appreciated.

BannonB

Personally, I don't use pollen to feed. If I could trust that all pollen was entirely free of deleterious contaminants, I might consider it. As it is, I can't really trust any agricultural product, even those we feed our bees to be completely contaminant-free, so I feed judiciously.

I mix together, dry granular sugar with canola oil, until the sugar is completely coated, then I blend in other dry ingredients, including Bee Pro, soy flour, brewers yeast, Ultra Bee, and Hemp protein powder. I moisten the mix with 1:1 sugar syrup until the consistency of cookie dough. I try to mix approximately equal amounts of the dry ingredients, except sugar. I prefer to use an amount of sugar, equal to all the other ingredients combined.

Of course, with the exception of Hemp, all the other agricultural products used for pollen substitute patties may possibly be derived from crops where Neonicotinoid insecticides were used.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I see that they only sell 40 lb. boxes. With 3 hives, that will last a while! They say that the shelf life is 6 months but it can be fed continuously even when the honey supers are on. I will probably need to freeze or refrigerate the patties to keep them fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    I see that they only sell 40 lb. boxes. With 3 hives, that will last a while! They say that the shelf life is 6 months but it can be fed continuously even when the honey supers are on. I will probably need to freeze or refrigerate the patties to keep them fresh.
    Betterbee sells them in packages of 10. Some of the other distributors may carry them also I am not sure. I have frozen the extras and the bees will still take them down when thawed. Not sure what the shelf life is frozen but I have kept them for a year.

I just checked the Betterbee site and I don't see any pollen patties. Maybe they have discontinued them.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    I just checked the Betterbee site and I don't see any pollen patties. Maybe they have discontinued them.

Right you are! I had checked in the last catalog I had which is the 2011. Sorry about that. I just gave them a call to check and they said they do not carry them at this time as Global is changing the formula. I am surprised they stopped shipping the old formula before a new one was available? Maybe available again in the near future? Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joecali View Post
    Right you are! I had checked in the last catalog I had which is the 2011. Sorry about that. I just gave them a call to check and they said they do not carry them at this time as Global is changing the formula. I am surprised they stopped shipping the old formula before a new one was available? Maybe available again in the near future? Joe
    Betterbee is no longer listed as a Dealer on the Global Site either.