Thread: uncapped honey

Default uncapped honey

Have a hive that is only capping a portion of their honey. Each frame has an arc on the top half of the honey and uncapped below. The uncapped is not runny--I can't shake it out. Never had this happen before. What could be going on?? I'm located in Dallas, TX.

Default Re: uncapped honey

I am a new beek so I am only telling you what I have read on this site. Someone said when the cell is completly full the capping appears clear because the honey is rubbing against the inside. The caps appear white when they're not as full.

What you are seeing is completely normal. If you have enough remaining good weather to let them continue, they will most likely cap it. If not, you could try swapping those frames for frames of capped honey down in the brood chamber, they will deal with it then. Do you have access to a refractometer? If so, take a couple samples and check the moisture level. If it's in the 17's, you're good to extract even though it's not capped. I think I extracted app 20 frames like that this year. Your shake test is also a good indicator. If all else fails, leave it for the bees.

Hope this helps.

PS. If you don't have a refractometer, don't buy the expensive ones from the supply houses. I bought mine of Ebay for $20.00. came calibrated and has been working great for 3 years.

Welcome TBL!
    Unless you can measure the moisture content it would be better to leave it until the bees have processed into honey. Shake test is not very accurate. Did you shake vigorously? What is vigorous? Did you smack the frame on its side against the super? What is a good enough smack? If you extract too early the worst that can happen is it ferments and is useless to humans and bees. If you leave it on the worst is your bees finish processing or consume for winter and survive.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com