Default Adding Frames and Fighting Beetled

I have a 10 frame split that is full of bees, not overflowing but full. I want to add another deep hive body with DRAWN comb. Having had trouble with hive beetles this summer, I am a bit gun-shy about putting a whole box of drawn combs on them. My plan is to add the box and 5 drawn frames centered over the broodnest. Then as the pooulation continues to grow, add the remaining frames. What do you think? Good plan? Has anyone else done this?

Default Re: Adding Frames and Fighting Beetled

No opinions?

I don't have hive beetles so it's hard to have an opinion for you. All I can say is if you add a box without it being full of frames, you're asking for other kinds of trouble. Bees may start drawing wild comb in the open spaces. Bees can't environmentally control the open spaces as well without combs to be on. But as I say, I don't have hive beetles. If it was me, I'd add the box with all combs in it. I'd also pull up a couple combs of open larva into the new box to get the bees up into it quicker. Good luck to ya.

Put all the frames in, the bees will make a mess in the empty space if you don't. SHB should not be a problem in empty comb, they like to infest filled comb (brood or honey). Use some traps if you are concerned.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pat.l.cloninger View Post
    I have a 10 frame split that is full of bees, not overflowing but full. I want to add another deep hive body with DRAWN comb. Having had trouble with hive beetles this summer, I am a bit gun-shy about putting a whole box of drawn combs on them. My plan is to add the box and 5 drawn frames centered over the broodnest. Then as the pooulation continues to grow, add the remaining frames. What do you think? Good plan? Has anyone else done this?
    If you do decide to add another deep, it would probably not be a good idea to leave the frames out. You probably would come back to find a comb surprise. This past July, I put six frames in a seven frame nuc (on accident). And the bees built comb on the side of the box.

Another thing to consider is, do bees in your area draw comb this late in the season? Our generally do not. This time of year, our bees generally start storing the brood chamber with honey. IMO, if you brood nest has mostly capped honey, I would be tempted to add another box. Our winters are probably much harsher than yours, so keep this in mind.

HTH,

Shane