Default Small Hive beetle

Hello old friends,
    I have a lot of SHB, couple of my hives have gone down from them this year. I am tempted to go without bees for a year to knock down the population. I would like to know what beekeepers are using and what your success has been. Thank you.

Default Re: Small Hive beetle

You can't skip a year of bees in your yard and effect the SHB population they live in the wild and will smell your new hive - whenever you get it - and come 'a flying in.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

lost a couple of weak hives last year from shb and wax moths combined.

this year, all of my hives that are in mostly sun haven't had many beetles at all.

a couple of my hives that were in mostly shade, even for just a week, had more than i could count. i moved them to a more sunny location and the problem was solved.

i do try to keep my hives strong, and don't give them any more space than they can patrol.

i also have a disposable beetle trap in every box, use solid bottom boards, and have window screen covering the notches in my inner covers.

so far so good this year.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Squarpeg what kind of beetle traps are you using?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

I have used Beetle Jail entrance traps www.beetlejail.com on my 2 hives for the past 2 years. Had half a dozen or so beetles the first time I opened the hive; since then, I have seen 1 beetle. I get very few in the trap although I am in an area where they are a problem and I have a fruit orchard in my back yard that should attract them. I think the design of the entrance must discourage them. Although they are a bit pricey ($30), I think they are about the best purchase I've made.

they are called 'better beetle blaster'. i get them from mann lake, and put about a quarter inch of vegetable oil in them. i also mix a little rotten banana and apple cider vinegar into the vegetable oil.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives