Default Langstroth/Top Bar Hybrid Hive

I thought I had saw a similar post on here but searching I could not find it. I was looking over the measurements of a Langstroth hive and had an idea. Has anyone ever built a hive turning the 19 7/8" to the sides then make the distance from the front to the back 32 1/2"? Basically the size of two deeps set horizontal. Turning the frames from front to back to side to side. Could use a follower board like a Top Bar hive to add or remove space. Tweeking the measurements even more two regular Langstroth medium or shallow supers could be placed on top. Sort of a Langstroth/Top Bar Hybrid hive that still uses regular Langstroth frames and foundation. I know it would be super heavy to try to move but that's part of a draw back of a Top Bar.
    Do you think it would work? Has it already been done? Is there any problems with turning the frames sideways?
    And yes I know I have way to much free time to be thinking of crazy ideas, LOL!
    Last edited by shadow-cw; 08-22-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Default Re: Langstroth/Top Bar Hybrid Hive

It can be done but what are you hoping to gain?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    It can be done but what are you hoping to gain?
    I know it will not gain much. Just one super big and cool beehive by combining the best of a Langstroth and a Top Bar.

If you put supers on top haven't you defeated the benefit of a Top Bar hive?
    Brian Cardinal

Been discussed here a number of times. Look for threads on "long hives." I have one that I made sitting in the attic of the barn waiting for me to build a SBB for it & put it into use. Maybe next spring...

Wayne

If you put supers on top haven't you defeated the benefit of a Top Bar hive?
    Possibly but you would have regular frames and use an extractor to harvest the honey.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesgarden View Post
    Been discussed here a number of times. Look for threads on "long hives." I have one that I made sitting in the attic of the barn waiting for me to build a SBB for it & put it into use. Maybe next spring...

Wayne
    Thanks for the info.

Here's a link to Dennis Murrel's website. http://beenaturalguy.com/plans/combo-long-hive/

The only real benefit to a top bar hive is lower cost in construction. Everything else is more difficult due to the lack of full frames, single comb height, and length.

Not that there is anything wrong with using one, it's just not better than a Lang style.

I've read several posts by people who have bad enough back trouble they made long hives so they wouldn't have to lift boxes, and they work like TBHs. Again, you trade simplicity in construction for loss of the benefit of having top boxes full of honey.

Bees are highly adaptable to hive space and will do well in just about anything. Hive design is all about making things easier for the beekeeper, not the bees.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by shadow-cw View Post
    Possibly but you would have regular frames and use an extractor to harvest the honey.
    Why can't you use an extractor to harvest the honey with a top bar hive? I didn't know that is a problem. Do you need some help doing that?
    Brian Cardinal

Why can't you use an extractor to harvest the honey with a top bar hive? I didn't know that is a problem. Do you need some help doing that?
    I know very little about a top bar hive. I have been reading about them and planed on trying one next year. And then I had the hybrid idea. I thought the top bar hives were cut comb or crush and strain???

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ogborn View Post
    Here's a link to Dennis Murrel's website. http://beenaturalguy.com/plans/combo-long-hive/
    Thanks! That's pretty much what I had in mind.

Moving full, heavy combs of capped TBH honey is tricky. I don't even have to cut mine from the bar. I just hold it over my pan
    and twist the bar some and it breaks right off. "Ploop"

As has been said, this idea has been around for a long time. They were using long hives way back in the late 1800's. They work well. I have been talking about this idea on the topbar portion of this forum. I tried a topbar this year and just don't get why someone in this country, where we have tons (literally tons) of scrap material laying around would use a topbar instead of a long hive with frames. It is better for the bees when we use frames. And, if foundationless frames are used, then the comb is just as natural. All the benefits of a topbar hive with the added benefits of using frames. Good for the bees and the beekeeper.

I would make the long hive longer like they do in a topbar. Make it 3-4 feet long. Long hives and topbars are easier to move than Langs because handles can easily be screwed onto the side to pick it up. Also, they don't tip over like langs, they just ride in teh truck bed nice and easy.

if you want to combine them both....why not try a tbh that uses top bars the same width as a lang and super it with a medium/small?

The benefit would be dealing with the problem of swarming. No deeps to play with, and easy access to honey...which can be done with an extractor......

It would be the best of both worlds and you can easily find or replace parts being they are interchangeable to a degree (bars wouldnt be, supers would). Bars would become your brood chamber and winter stores.

here's an interesting read for ya.

www.alaskabees.com/files/Topbars_in_AK_PDF.pdf

Another person to look up is Robherc's stuff....

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna do some research and build something over the winter.
    Thanks again!