Default Any one else read about the bees seized??

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...ans-home?lite/

Approximately 3 million bees were found swarming around a man's Queens, N.Y., home....

Default Re: Any one else read about the bees seized??

Some fuzzy math there. Sad example for a beekeeper in the news.

LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

I understood the article to say that the owner had some 45 hives in the city. Too many by far! That is unless he had a really BIG back yard. I live in a small town and work hard at educating my neighbors, giving them honey and asking about how my bees affect their outdoor activities. All the neighbors have been wonderful and most appreciative of the honey.

From the local news....the yard was 20' x 30'. This is the type of guy that caused NYC to ban beekeeping many years ago. All you need is one moron.

Yep, and he robbed them of all their honey, most colonies weighed about 45lbs according to the local beek helping pick them up and said they probably wouldn't make it through winter.

He was selling his house, so maybe he took all the honey he could and was expecting the bees to starve...

I lived and work not far from where this occured, there's no way that area holds enough food source for that amount of bees and distance they forage from their hives...from the pics in the papers it looks like alot of single deeps and nucs which were probably consuming whatever they could collect...either way a black mark for all good beekeepers, i'm a newbee and trying to do my best and had to endure the ribbing from co-workers all day asking if they were mine or if i was related..lol..have to admit one thing i learned this first year is just how fast the numbers build up, two swarms and a split in my first 4 weeks of beekeeping..just amazing creatures..i used my truck to pull out 6 dead shrubs in the garden this afternoon 10 ft from 5 strong healthy hives with no protection and not a one bothered me... i just hope they appreciate what i'm planting for them...lololol