Question DESIGN observation hive ENTRANCE Robbing feeder and entrance rout and location ?

Does entrance route and feeder location matter? Sorry for so many questions in one post but they are all related. To feed my observation hive, I will build a little box on one side with a place to put an upside down jar of sugar water, and a place to put some pollen. Now I was wondering about my entrance. I thought what if I made my entrance pipe plug right in to that box. That got me thinking about robbing. Do the guard bees guard the end of the pipe that is outside the house in the yard or do they guard the part that enters the hive body? Or both? and do they guard inside the hive as well. It got me wondering what if I put the feeder on the other end of the hive. Would a robbing bee just have to fight its way into the end of the pipe outside, then have free reign to go anywhere in the hive and take whatever it wants and then leave? Or would it have to fight to get in the pipe, then fight to get in the hive and then fight all the way through the hive to the food and then get what it wants and leave? Also would it have to fight its way back out? If it only has to fight to get into the end that is outside, then I would think plugging the pipe into the feeder box vs plugging it into the opposite end of the hive wouldn't make any difference as far as robbing goes. Is that correct?

Default Re: DESIGN observation hive ENTRANCE Robbing feeder and entrance rout and location ?

All my observation hives have entrances in the bottom The hives are 8 frame hives with 4 up side by side, I use 3/4 inch Tubing with a ball valve. The feeders are at the far end of the hive so they can only be accessed from within the hive. I also have what we call the air lock. A chamber that can be used to introduce a new queen. A robber would have to travel the 20 inches down the entrance tube to access the hive which can easily be defended by even a few bees.

]Observation Hive.jpg

Default Re: DESIGN observation hive ENTRANCE Robbing feeder and entrance rout and location ?

forget the OB hive look at the two monster bucks on the wall where did you shoot them tenbears

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    All my observation hives have entrances in the bottom The hives are 8 frame hives with 4 up side by side, I use 3/4 inch Tubing with a ball valve. The feeders are at the far end of the hive so they can only be accessed from within the hive. I also have what we call the air lock. A chamber that can be used to introduce a new queen. A robber would have to travel the 20 inches down the entrance tube to access the hive which can easily be defended by even a few bees.
    Thanks Tenbears! Thank you for the picture as well. The air lock chamber sounds very interesting and useful. I would like to know more about that. Do you think it makes any difference (as far as robbing) then where the feeder is at in relation to the entrance tube?(see attached image for clarification)
    Attached Images Attached Images

They still sell Boardman feeders... even if it's not the best place for a feeder it works most of the time. Given a choice, I prefer the feeder to be at the opposite end from the entrance. But that doesn't mean it can't work the other way most of the time...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I see image 2 or 3 as working models ! not so much. But they all have possibilities

The air lock Is simply a chamber above the hive with a slid in entrance door. I open the outer door, place a queen cage in with a candy plug. close the outer door and remove the slide. The attendants from the hive can get to the queen cage and attend to her while her pheromones cascade down upon the hive. An easy to introduce a new queen in the case of a non returning virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbeejohn View Post
    forget the OB hive look at the two monster bucks on the wall where did you shoot them tenbears
    They were takin at a friends dairy farm in Ohio. The one on the right is my biggest to date. The one on the left is #3 I have 3 other Booners and including those, a total of 8 Pope and Young Bucks. I have been blessed with Good friends who have good hunting ground they are willing to share with me. At least for one season. LOL

i figured they did not come from this state i have done some hunting up around you tenbears seen some nice bucks but never of that quality sorry for the off topic hijack

I hunted on a dairy farm in NW Ohio one year. Both growing feed and pasture for cows. I forget how many acres, but more than ten of us could hope to cover. Maybe 25,000 owned and leased, but I can't remember. Unbelievable deer.
    The OH flanked by them looks great. Best chance I have of getting my wife to go along with an OH hive in the house.