Hybrid View

Default Cleanup in the inner cover (wild comb in the hive)

In inspecting my hives yesterday I found an issue I now need to reslove. It seems that after extracting August 1st I put a parcial box of frames back on one of my hives (thought it was a full 8, only had 3 ). It is the top box, of 5 mediums, and when I went back into the hive there is now wild comb all over the place from the inner cover down. My first thought was cut it out and rubber band it into some empty frames, but then I found brood in some of it (above 2 full boxes of honey, so much for queens not passing above the honey). I don't want to risk killing the queen this late in the season, but I also want to clean up the mess of comb the bees made (with my negligent assistance). That being sad, the comb sure is pretty, huge hanging pieces of 100% foundationless beauty, some following the frame orientation and some perpendicular.

What is the best way to clean this up?
    Should I try some "Bee Go" type product to drive them down off the comb before pulling it?

Thanks!

Default Re: Cleanup in the inner cover (wild comb in the hive)

My experience is that the nurse bees will not abandon the brood if you use bee go. I think you could still do a cut out with the brood and still band it into frames.

smoke the queen down. she'll run easy enough especially if you take off the supers so she can run down into the brood boxes.
    then cut out and band into new frames.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Since the comb is at the very top of the hive there is thousands of field bees as well (storing nectar throughout the wild comb as well). I may need bee go and smoke... Does the queen run away from the bee go?