Default Recommendation for electric de-capping knife

I've tried all the other options, and they all work but I seem to do a lot of comb damage. Thinking about getting an electric knife but noticed the wide range in prices. Basically, anything from the major suppliers (Mann Lake, Kelley, Brushy Mountain, etc.), your'e looking at $100.00 or more. On Amazon, there are plenty as low as $39.00, but most in the $50 range. They all look the same, and quite frankly, how complicated can an electric knife be? I realize the thermostat is an important part of it and most have that (I'd stay away from the ones that don't mention that it has a built in thermostat).

So, my question is... have anyone here have good experiences with these lower priced knives? Has anyone have knives that get too hot & burn the honey? Anything else to consider?

Default Re: Recommendation for electric de-capping knife

I'd not get one without an adjustable thermostat and I had both........ with and w/o. As far as lower price knives....... I believe firmly that you get what you for......... I use a foot control on/off switch on mine........ makes it a WHOLE bunch easier than reaching for that switch.................
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Pretty much my conclusion is with electric heated knives is that they work for 1 cut and then the 2nd cut is not as good. I have seen 4 different ways to uncap in 1 video and it was just a simple bread knife. Seems to be a simple bread knife for uncapping from the YouTube video's that have anything to say about cutting the wax caps off of frames.

The MAXANT uncapping plane works really great. It takes two swipes for a deep and is perfect for westerns. You can adjust the depth of the blade. There is no built in thermostat however so you have to switch it on and off. But you get a feel for it pretty quick.

http://www.maxantindustries.com/uncapping.html

The one thing about the plane is you pull it horizontally. This means a wide uncapping station is the best. Before I got my plane I uncapped over a bucket. I went and got a bus-tub from cash and carry, which is about the length of a frame, and mounted a wooden bar across it to support the frame while uncapping. Not the ideal situation but cheap.

I just put a kitchen slicer in a croc pot full of water, wipe the water off the blade before you cut, sliced right through it. Doesn't work as well on the second side, so next time I will drop 2 knives in the pot.

I have a heated knife. A friend gave it to me. They are expensive, but truthfully having now used one, I would likely never buy one. Like frustrateddrone said, they work good on one side and the 2nd side, not so good.

I'm thinking about making something like a giant sized cheese slicer. I don't know why that wouldn't work well.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

I was about to buy the Maxant uncapping plane. I had to pic up 2 nucs for a friend. The sellar.runs about 300 production hives. I asked him what he thought. He showed me the uncapping punch roller. He said it is really fast and very little cappings to deal with. He also said he runs 10 frames in all his supers which makes the comb not as thick and the uncapping punch works alot better. I tried it and it works very well. Very easy and really fast.