Default A potential piece of the enduring CCD puzzle.

Hello everyone,

Scientists and beekeepers alike have investigated the potential causes of CCD. Some say mites and viruses are involved, others contend that pesticides are also play a crucial role. Nevertheless, there is still no solid explanation as to why bee populations are declining rapidly and globally.

The following is a video of a proposed hormonal process that might explain how, as well as why, certain colonies can decline suddenly and rapidly. This video is courtesy of hilaroad.com which has granted me permission to embed their video onto this forum, for the purpose of raising awareness.

Thank you for reading, and best of luck.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5_u0R0cqGIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Default Re: A potential piece of the enduring CCD puzzle.

Errr, the narrator doesn't seem to know the difference between hormones and pheromones. Much of what is described as "new" (the fact that role assignments are influenced by the needs of the colony via pheromone feedback loops) is not new.
    I think there is a lot to be learned by observation by "amatures", and the more of this kind of thing the better...but the idea that foragers not returning to the hive will cause early development of young bees into foragers (the key point of this video) is old news....common knowledge taught in most beginning beekeeping classes.

deknow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5_u0R0cqGIU

Default Re: A potential piece of the enduring CCD puzzle.

If you're interested in learning more about CCD I recommend "Fruitless Fall" by Rowan Jacobsen, it's one of the best books I have ever read and is very informational. Thank you for the link.