Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Extractors: Want vs. Need

My grandpa had a galvanized four frame extractor from kelley bees, and we borrow an identical one of similar age now. It has a sloping bottom, drains easily, is easy to crank (I helped when I was six or seven, I think, doing the cranking and was told to slow down).

I believe the exact same extractor is available today from Kelley's in stainless steel. Not cheap, but should last through quite a few decades of use with no trouble other than replacing a top bearing.

Grandpa had between a dozen and two dozen hives -- I don't remember the number, since we were not allowed to play in the apiary and Mom doesn't have any pictures that I've found so far. He had those hives from the late 20's until the late 60's, and extracted #3 washtubs of honey with that four frame extractor.

Peter

I too did a lot of research this year before I bought my 18 frame Mann Lake extractor. All the radials I have looked at have conical bottoms. The gauge of metal will depend on the support design for the extractor

The 9 frame Maxant is supported from the bottom. The top is supported by the metal sides, thence benefitting from the thicker gauge metal. The 9 frame is really a 6 frame radial. The 26 gauge on the Mann Lake is plenty sturdy. I cannot push in the sides with my hand. My extractor was delivered free of charge and protected in a crate well built. All metal now with no plastic parts. I will upgrade with a motor later. People keep saying that the Maxant is American Made, but only if you buy the manual. Their motor is Foreign made, si I wish they would change their promotion to be more honest.
    I am real exited about my purchase. Michael Bush and the moderator of this forum both use the 18 / 9 Mann Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by indypartridge View Post
    <snip>

For me, the gauge of the stainless steel is important for durability and stability. The Maxant 3100 is 20 gauge, while the SAF units are listed as 0.5mm, which translates to about 25 or 26 gauge - that's getting very thin (higher the gauge, the thinner the metal).
    Mmm, I called Brushy Mountain today and was told that the SAF/Italian units were 22 gauge...looking on SAF Natura's website I see the .5mm notation associated with what looks to be the 9-frame units offered here in the states. I converted that to inches and checked a stainless steel gauge chart. A 5mm thickness falls between 25 and 26 gauge at .0197 inches. Thanks for making me look for myself, indy! I wonder how many times I looked at that SAF's page previously and totally missed the thickness note.

Am I wrong or is 20 gauge (.0375") almost twice as thick as 25-26 (.0197" or 5mm) gauge??? I'm figuring 90% thicker.

Ed

Michael Bush and the moderator of this forum both use the 18 / 9 Mann Lake
    He also didn't have one for 26 years nor does he seem a big fan of them in general. Just saying.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm

I'm in pretty much the exact same position as you, but I decided to go with the Maxant 3100H. I think it should be fine for around 10 hives. Whenever I get tired of cranking, I'll order the motor kit.

Good Luck
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

Quote Originally Posted by indypartridge View Post
    For some people, where it's made is important. Maxant is American-made. The Brushy Mountain SAF units are imported from Italy.

For me, the gauge of the stainless steel is important for durability and stability. The Maxant 3100 is 20 gauge, while the SAF units are listed as 0.5mm, which translates to about 25 or 26 gauge - that's getting very thin (higher the gauge, the thinner the metal).
    You bring up a very good point indypartridge! I like 'American Made' on the things that I own and usually a little extra weight is a good thing when it comes to equipment. Thanks for that information!

It is american made. The Parvalux motor comes from the U.K.
    A lot better than coming from China.
    Enjoy your ML!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesfarms View Post
    I too did a lot of research this year before I bought my 18 frame Mann Lake extractor. All the radials I have looked at have conical bottoms. The gauge of metal will depend on the support design for the extractor

The 9 frame Maxant is supported from the bottom. The top is supported by the metal sides, thence benefitting from the thicker gauge metal. The 9 frame is really a 6 frame radial. The 26 gauge on the Mann Lake is plenty sturdy. I cannot push in the sides with my hand. My extractor was delivered free of charge and protected in a crate well built. All metal now with no plastic parts. I will upgrade with a motor later. People keep saying that the Maxant is American Made, but only if you buy the manual. Their motor is Foreign made, si I wish they would change their promotion to be more honest.
    I am real exited about my purchase. Michael Bush and the moderator of this forum both use the 18 / 9 Mann Lake.
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12