Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: "Fall" Hopguard Treatment

Hopguard kills tracheal mites too. Pretty much all of the miticides used for varroa tackle tracheal at the same time. That is why there is less checking for it now those days. It has become a lesser problem.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

Quote Originally Posted by Katharina View Post
    Hopguard kills tracheal mites too. Pretty much all of the miticides used for varroa tackle tracheal at the same time. That is why there is less checking for it now those days. It has become a lesser problem.
    Katharina....I'm not sure this is exactly right. I believe that the main reason we don't have such a huge problem, any longer, with tracheal mites is a genetic resistance/tolerance. One might make a case for ApiLife Var, with menthol as one ingredient...and conceivably any of the miticides that work as fumigants but I don't think Hopguard fits that bill.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Ok, Thanks for the information's. That means to me, it is not worth to visit breweries here and play with that hope material.
    I don't like to treat with two different things when one, like thymol, is enough and I'm satisfied with that.

i just put hopguard on my 50 strong doubles. i robbed them 3 days ago, we had frost 2 nights ago, it's been very dry, and they are really testy. while i was treating i started wondering if anyone is speeding up the process. what i was considering was splitting the boxes and laying 4 strips on the middle and closing it up. i've noticed with patties done that way they carry all the wax paper out the front so i thought maybe they would handle the hopguard the same way. not bieng lazy, just trying to be less intrusive when they are already angry. justin

I started my first treatment last week, when I go in to do the 2nd treatment, if the first two strips are not eaten or gone, do I remove what is left, or just put the 2 new strips in a little different locations? Thanks so much

I don’t think HG works with tracheal. HG kills mites by physical contact I think and thymol is a fumigant that kills tracheal when the bees inhale the fumes
    Im really not that serious