Default Honey and type 2 diabetes

If so, do you still eat your honey? I have seen conflicting views on honey and diabetes. Some say it is good for diabetics. Others say its the same as any sugar and should be cut out. Any opinions?
    USDA Zone 5B

Default Re: Honey and type 2 diabetes

Be careful and follow your Dr's advice. That being said here's my experience, if I eat pancakes with syrup for breakfast I'm shaking like a leaf by lunchtime. If I replace the syrup with honey I have no issues
    But like I said I'm not a doctor
    There's not enough sheep dogs and the wolves are coming!!!!!!

I am 62, diabetic 30 years, on insulin entire time now with pump. I use honey on a regular basis. My Dr says honey is ok for me, just count the carbs and account for them. I have never had problems with honey, it is the big ole buttered biscuit that gives me trouble. I use a little honey almost daily. Moderation is the key. That is my opinion.

I have been a type1 diabetic for 41 years. Prior to switching to honey as my main sweetener, I had much more difficulty controlling my blood sugars and keeping my A1C down. Honey seems to allow me to have the sweetness I want and maintain tight control. I also agree with paintingpreacher, know your carb counts and how to allow for them in your daily routine.

TIMER, you sound more like Hypoglycemia then diabetes but then I am not diabetic. I am however hypoglycemic I do not eat anything sweet in the morning except honey due to the sugar crash or if I do I make sure and eat something with protein and carbohydrates also.

I highly recommend two books about honey and it's effect on the human body. Honey and sugar are NOT the same.

1. The Hibernation Diet by Mike and Stuart McInnes

2. The Honey Revolution by Ron Fessenden, MD, MPH and Mike McInnes, MRPS

~~~~~~~~~~

On the back cover of The Honey Revolution book: "Honey is nature's sweetener that combats diabetes! Though it contains mostly sugars, when consumed regularly, honey improves glucose metabolism and disposal in the body and lowers blood sugar levels."

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes. That being said, processed sugar, corn syrup, and honey are three different things. A potatoes covered in trans fat can mess up a diabetic as much as sugar does.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Thats good to hear about honey. Problem is, I have a maple syrup operation as well.
    USDA Zone 5B

Quote Originally Posted by heus View Post
    Thats good to hear about honey. Problem is, I have a maple syrup operation as well.
    Wow, that is a problem! At least it would be for me, as I really enjoy pure maple syrup.

I read an article on different types of honey. Some of the monofloral were better for diabetics because the sugar composition was more favorable.

Xyletol is a sweetener that all diabetics should take a look at. Not only is it low on the glycemic index, it also is lower in calories. And as a side note it reduces the rate of tooth decay.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Quote Originally Posted by RiodeLobo View Post
    Xyletol is a sweetener that all diabetics should take a look at. Not only is it low on the glycemic index, it also is lower in calories. And as a side note it reduces the rate of tooth decay.
    But whatever you do, not not feed Xyletol to your bees!
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

You could take gasoline and it won't bother your sugar.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Heard a doctor speak at a beekeeping seminar a couple years ago. He said a couple of diabetic patients where able to stop taking their oral medication while using honey in their diet.
    My wife has his book, if I can find it I'll let you know what the title, & author are.
    Dan

Article I read listed Acacia honey as good for diabetics as it has a low sucrose content.

Honey is better then sugar for diabetics. First reason it is a simple sugar, and not a complex sugar. It is naturally sweeter then sugar, so you need less. The second reason is that it does contain wax in it. The wax slows down the sugar absorption, and cuts down on sugar spikes. Yes, it is still a carbohydrate and has to be accounted for, but overall diabetics do better with honey then sugar. BTW honey is also good for those that are not diabetic. Simply for the same reasons.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

Quote Originally Posted by seyc View Post
    But whatever you do, not not feed Xyletol to your bees!
    Or dog. It can be toxic to them
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.